Hair Dye Forum

Hair Dye Forum Banner
Notifications
Clear all

dodged a bullet but it got me thinking

 
(@spooki)
New Member Guest

Just after I finished bleaching and dying my roots today a pipe broke and my building lost water (been 4 hours with water on and off and it's gross when it's back on). It got me thinking, what if I had not gotten to rinse the bleach off my head first?! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ What could I have used to avoid losing my scalp and hair? I was thinking trying a jug of milk.

Quote
Posted : September 27, 2013 7:18 pm
(@janineb)
Famed Member Registered

I'd probably go to a shop for a couple of bottles of water.

Back in the day (1989-91) I was at college doing hairdressing and there was a bomb threat. They were taken incredibly seriously then due to the IRA bombings, this was from animal activists I think, protesting rat dissection maybe. I'm not totally sure.

Anyway, one poor woman had bleach on her hair and some more had dyes or perms! We were forced out of the building for an hour while they checked the building (nothing there). Thankfully one tutor had the forethought to get us to grab lots of water sprays and towels. We spent the next hour using freezing cold water on a freezing cold day trying to get the dyes, bleach and perm solution out!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2013 8:42 pm
(@spooki)
New Member Guest

unfortunately that would not have been an option for me as I would have to walk about 40 minutes to get bottled water. By then my head would be fried. My roots typically take between 12 and 15 minutes to turn the light golden color I like as my base. At 20-25 minutes they turn banana yellow... I'd be scared to see what 40+ minutes would do!

All I had on hand today was a gallon and a half of milk, a quart of orange juice, shampoo, conditioner, olive oil, coconut oil and canola oil. I figured the milk would be the best choice if need be since it's mostly water and not acidic like the OJ.

UGH I am just so glad I didn't have to resort to pouring random crap on my head today.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2013 9:31 pm
(@ModifiedMomma)
New Member Guest

spooki, in your case before you bleach next time, I'd make sure to fill some pitchers or large containers with water prior to... just in case.  I might start doing that myself as I was sitting in the bath with semi/conditioner on my head just the other day and the power flickered twice.  I have no idea why... we weren't having any strange weather or anything.  At least it was just conditioner and a semi, but what if it had been bleach or permanent dye?  I'm a 15 minute drive to the nearest retailer for bottled water.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2013 11:22 pm
(@janineb)
Famed Member Registered

Is this something that happens often?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2013 6:42 am
(@spooki)
New Member Guest

This was the first time I've been with out water since 2005. I have only lived in this building for just over 2 years now though. It's the first time it happened since I moved in so I was kind of surprised. America is kind of having an aging infrastructure crisis so I think I might just keep some water on hand just in case. Might be worth while anyway since we keep getting hit with crazy hurricanes/ superstorms/ nor'easters.

Where I grew up it happened all the time because the pipes were ancient but they started a massive replacement project around the time I moved out. Figures LOL.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2013 2:49 pm
(@janineb)
Famed Member Registered

Heh, tell me about it. It's exactly the same pretty much everywhere in the UK too. When I was in Bristol the sewer on our street was so old (mid-late 1800s) and knackered that it collapsed! Big mess lol

And in a lot of London where you'd expect cutting edge everything, the phone lines are incredibly old and many can't (and won't) be upgraded. Crappy internet. There's not a lot if new towns here, so they're just constantly patching everything up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2013 7:29 pm
(@katiesiepierski)
Prominent Member Registered

I had a client one time and the power went out and there was no hot water. I had to wash the color out of this poorvwomans hair with freezing cold water + couldnt even dry it or style it for her.

I would have used the milk too. Milk is mostly like water anyway, and the closest thing to water out of the things you had. I would fill up a couple few jugs with water too if i were you just in case!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2013 11:16 pm
(@XxX Acid XxX)
New Member Guest

wow thats so lucky you rinsed in time, i think the closest ive come to that (which isnt very lol) is when my brother took a 3 hour shower in the evening (soooo annoying, he takes his laptop in and listens to films or music in there) 20 minutes after i applied my bleach and wouldnt get out so i had to stick my head under the kitchen taps and use the new unopened shampoos from the utility cupboard.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2013 8:20 pm