Hair Dye Forum

Hair Dye Forum Banner
Notifications
Clear all

Hair Breakage ... what to do?

 
(@KristaDior)
New Member Guest

I had posted in another thread about my hair breakage, but it has worsened! I am posting with more details with hope that I can find out what may have caused this in the first place.

Back up to May...I went to the salon to have my roots done and the stylist used 40 vol developer with a Wella bleach and HEAT. My head started bleeding.. no joke.. and I ended up with bad scabs for about a week. I didn' t know what volume bleach she was mixing, or I would have said something to her. She assured me that the heat would be okay.. and I nearly passed out from the pain. Needless to say, I am not going back to that salon again.

My hair was fine, I didn't suffer any damage except for the scalp. I had my roots touched up again at another salon, this time the girl used Goldwell Oxycur Platin bleach with the matching 20 vol. developer. No heat! This worked fine.. no damage.

A month later, my best friend (not licensed, but has a lot of experience dying hair) used Joico Vero Blue and a cheap developer (30 vol.) and the roots did NOT lift much after an hour of waiting. We had to wash out since she had to leave, but two days later, I re-bleached the roots with the same products and they lifted just a little bit more this time, but still had trouble with orange/yellowness, even after toning. I found two 2-inch long chunks of hair on my crown where breakage had occurred, but it wasn't too bad.

Just this last weekend, it was time to bleach again, roots very long this time (a little more than 1/2 inch) I used the Vero blue bleach, but this time used 30 vol. peroxide Goldwell. Applying the bleach ONLY to my roots, of course, and developing my normal time.. washing out and doing a shampoo toning... a few days later.. a LOT more breakage.. again.. I found a bunch of 2 inch long pieces of hair totally sticking straight up off the top of my head. Bleach never touched these areas! What the hell is going on? Is the Vero Blue bleach giving off a vapor or something while I'm processing? This has never ever happened to me and I've bleached my hair for years. Just wondering if I did something wrong or if this bleach has a history of issues.  ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Quote
Posted : September 14, 2011 8:29 pm
(@shoirty)
New Member Guest

breakage can occur from a lack of protein or moisture. although to be honest it does sound more like bleach damage. If it was me, i would go to a trusted salon and talk to them. I have bleach damage; i use every type of conditioner and treatment i can to maintain my hair, i also use protein. my hair continues to snap at the ends even though its frequently cut. I'd ask friends if they could recommend someone so you don't end up with a bad experience again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2011 8:37 pm
(@KristaDior)
New Member Guest

Thank you, Shoirty! I really do think it is odd that places that the bleach did not touch are totally falling off. I use very expensive and highly rated products: Pureology Nanoworks shampoo and conditioner with Alterna Deep Conditioners. I went to the salon that helps me with my hair and they told me to get the Enjoy keratin treatment kit which is a spray that you use in the shower before you apply the conditioner. My hair feels really good today, but wow it looks like my hair is turning into a mullet on top! hah. Oh boy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2011 8:53 pm
(@shoirty)
New Member Guest

try using protein, i use a protein shampoo once a week (prefer it to conditioner) made by Redken. be careful how much you use it because it can make hair brittle if used too much. Minimising heat damage is another thing and using a heat shield of some sort.  Another good thing is Lanza serum which contains keratin. hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2011 9:19 pm
(@squishy000)
Famed Member Registered

You definitely need more protein to rebuild the hair from the inside out.  Even if you didn't notice anything other than scalp damage with that stylist, chances are that there was damage deep inside the hair.  Also, if the follicles were damaged, your hair may be growing through thinner and more prone to damage by harsh bleach treatments.

I (and several others) highly recommend Joico K-Pak Reconstructor.  It's a keratin protein treatment that applies like conditioner and you let it soak into your hair for a good five minutes.  Deep condition after as protein will leave hair feeling a bit crunchy.  Also, use a leave-in conditioner for the day to help keep moisture in your hair, and don't wash every day.

http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=1935  This topic has a lot of info on how to treat and repair overbleached hair.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2011 6:54 am
(@MissPiggy)
New Member Guest

Yuo definately need to lay off the bleach tooo!

Far too much in a short space of time!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2011 8:19 am
(@Mathurine)
New Member Guest

Yuo definately need to lay off the bleach tooo!

Far too much in a short space of time!

This was my thought too.

Bleaching should only be done once a month. Anything more than that literally shatters the cuticles of the hair shaft. This leaves an exposed hair core which isn't strong, so your hair breaks.

When re-doing the roots try not to overlap root bleaching with the existing bleached sections. You will get some overlap no matter how hard you try but try you must. If you bleached one day then re-bleached two days later, even if it's just the roots you're probably finding that this section has grown out a little and the weight of the rest of your hair is now pulling on the damaged section which just isn't strong enough to hold it.

Basically parts of your hair are hanging on with a section less than half the normal thickness.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 15, 2011 7:08 pm
(@FaeryFey)
New Member Guest

First of all, you could have sued the salon who burnt your head. Never ever is 40vol used on roots with heat omg!! These ppl are supposed to be qualified.
They were totally negligent.
Always take pictures and get a medical opinion for evidence, use a no win no fee firm.

Your friend may not have measured the correct amount of developer to powder. This results in incorrect lifting.

Something that I recommend for scalp scabs or burns is:
Rice bran oil with a big tablspn of manuka honey in it, mix it together, apply to your scalp. Apply just oil to your hair. Wrap up in cling film. Leave on over night. Wash off. Repeat every week. Very moisturing and healing manuka honey for the scalp.xx

I totally recommend Lanza too. Their leave in treatment is incredible really worth the ยฃ15 price!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 18, 2011 12:08 am