Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Instagram Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Twitter 

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: Best toner?  (Read 28037 times)  Share 

Token

Best toner?
« on: 15 Mar 10 / 09:21 PM »
I need a toner and I suppose they're all pretty similar but which is the best in your opinion?

typhoid

Re: Best toner?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 10 / 11:10 PM »
97p Superdrug own brand Colour Effects in shade 8:1, cool blonde. A whole lot of product for a tiny amount of money, you can't beat it. Alternatively, making your own violet toner from conditioner and purple dye is the second most cost-effective method I know of.

(If you aren't in the UK this post is completely irrelevant and I can only suggest that you move here as soon as possible to take advantage of our cheap Superdrug toner.)

Syphilis

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 10 / 11:53 PM »
I believe Special effects toner or Manic Panic Virgin Snow are the best; I personally lean towards Manic Panic's toner. You don't have to only be in the UK to buy it either, Beeunique's shop sells both of them at a reasonable price and if you're not located in the UK you can most def go to a US based shop and get it there online.

Token

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 10 / 09:08 AM »
I'm in the uk, so going to try the superdrug toner - i would have to order it otherwise and I can't wait to dye my hair - I'm dyeing it silver so trying to get as much yellow out of it first.
thanks for the tip!

• Beeunique
  • Current Colour: SFX Nuclear Red (part unbleached hair)
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 10 / 11:33 AM »
Let us know how you get on with it as i've not tried superdrug toner myself so would be handy to hear what its like.  Also lots of people ask about going silver or grey so please post pics of results once you've done it :)
- Any information or advice given is my opinion only and not professional advice.
- Click here to like Beeunique on Facebook.
- New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

Token

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 10 / 12:30 PM »
I will do - the silver dye has just arrived on my desk at work - it looks a very dark blue! wasn't expecting that!

• Beeunique
  • Current Colour: SFX Nuclear Red (part unbleached hair)
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 10 / 12:50 PM »
Many of the dyes can look different in the bottles and most of the toners and silver dyes are a blue shade but should go on ok, just remember your strand test first to check the results.
- Any information or advice given is my opinion only and not professional advice.
- Click here to like Beeunique on Facebook.
- New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

Token

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 10 / 01:35 PM »
popped to superdrug - they're out of 8.1 toner :(

My hairs pretty light so I'll do a strand test tonight and see how it comes out.

VaLukeAraptor

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 10 / 07:35 PM »
I've used that exact superdrug toner before myself.

It was ok, i think it kind of evened out the tones in my hair to a more neutral ash blonde. Typhoid is right, you get a lot more than 3 applications if your hair isn't really long. It can also be used as a shampoo, so it 'washing out' isn't a problem as such. But i wouldn't say it will make your hair white by any stretch of the imagination.

Caligo Bastet

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 10 / 02:24 PM »
Yep, it's supposed to be blue.

Don't forget to get a Silver Shampoo too!
It takes out the yellowness in the hair and it's a must when dying to silver / white 'cause its the only way to maintain the color without re-dying it all the time (and believe me, we're talking about a lot of re dying).

Also if you can find a permanent silver dye it's best. There's a really good one where I live but don't suppose you live in Israel hehe

Caligo Bastet

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 10 / 02:29 PM »
Here's what I say based on experience:

Drown your head in Silver Shampoo, wait for approx. 3 minutes, rinse your hair. Now it shouldn't have any yellowy tones to it.
Then just dye with the silver dye.

That's what I did and I think that you should avoid that toner application when you can just use Silver Shampoo and avoid further damaging your hair for no reason.

(My hair is white but it's the same principle)

Token

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 10 / 03:31 PM »
where do I get silver shampoo??

Caligo Bastet

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 10 / 03:59 PM »
Hmm I think you can find it at any beauty supply store.

I'm not sure what brands you have in the UK.
If there's Sally's Beauty Supply Store then Shimmering Lights is great, so I've heard.

I live in Israel so I don't really know where you can get it, I get it at beauty supply stores.

Token

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 10 / 05:22 PM »
Oh ok thanks, I'd just never heard of silver shampoo before!
I'll have a look online - I struggle to get anything where I live, so tend to order it all.

Caligo Bastet

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 10 / 06:39 PM »
Hehe no problem!
Not hard to find, and as I said if you're ordering anyway then get Shimmering Lights :D

Token

« Reply #15 on: 28 Mar 10 / 12:13 PM »
Thought I'd share my toner results. I ended up using my regular feria silver blonde to re dye the roots, then worked the remaining dye through the ends. I'd usually only do this for the last 5 mins but I left it on for 20 this time to lift the colour. I followed it with the superdrug 99p toner that I finally managed to get hold of. I got a much paler result than usual - hardly any yellow tones. This is how it turned out.

It's slightly greyish round the front from the toner but thats ok because I'm planning on dying silver over the top. Glad I decided against the bleach bath in the end because the feria colour is much gentler on my hair - I have no idea why. Standard bleach makes my hair really straw like but this stuff is magic.

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum Privacy & Cookies Policy can be seen here
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2021

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories