Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique InstagramBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: What’s the best way to go from dyed black to deep copper/cinnamon?  (Read 218 times)  Share 

• Current Colour: Dyed black, but naturally brown black
My hair was recently cut very, very short, so my current hair is nearly virgin. The oldest and longest bits have probably only been dyed black twice. I used a permanent, but ammonia-free, jet black dye on my naturally blackish brown hair. I think that, underneath the dye, my hair has probably been lifted to about a level 3, based on my prior experience with black dye. That means that I expect my hair to be warm red, but not orange, after color stripping.

IMO the color I am aiming for is more of a deep intense cinnamon shade than a flaming copper. All the sites that had pics of Rhianna with this shade seemed to think that her hair is neon orange here, but I disagree. I really don’t want to miss the mark and end up with neon orange hair again. It’s a mistake I’ve made more than once. It’s great on other people but it’s not for me. I’m looking for a permanent or semi-permanent result btw. How would you achieve this if you were me?

• Janine Basil Pop Accessories
Itís not neon orange. Itís s bright, but itís nit neon. Itís actually in the range I call ďhyper naturalĒ in that itís based on a natural colour, but exaggerated!

You need to remove the remnants of the black first. Use a colour remover. Youíll need to lighten your hair to around a level 5 or something. Basically speaking, ginger! Lighten it any more and it makes it more likely youíll get that neon orange. So use a good bleach (but avoid any that say something like lifts 7 shades as you donít need that), but a very low vol peroxide so it works nice and slowly.

Take a look at the Adore range if dyes. https://www.beeunique.co.uk/hair-dye/adore A mix of cinnamon and Cajan spice would be good, maybe with a teeny bit of Intense Red to give it a bit more depth that she appears to have.

Direct dyes are the best way to go with reds/oranges, especially intense tones like that. All red dyes fade, permanent ones even more than semis, ironically. With direct dyes you can mix some of your colour into your normal conditi9ner and have a top up every time you wash your hair. This is far, far better than redying with a permanent dye all the time.
New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules*
Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

The following users thanked this post: Mochaccino

• Current Colour: Dyed black, but naturally brown black
Wow thanks! Thatís exactly what I needed to know. At first I though that I needed to lighten to a level 7. Iím not even sure why I thought so. Iím also not sure what makes a bleach good or bad. Do you recommend a certain brand? How low vol should my developer be? I was going to go with twenty, but Iíve seen people use volumes as low as 5. Iím worried that might take multiple sessions just to lighten 2 levels, but I want to minimize damage.

• Janine Basil Pop Accessories
I like blondor or indola most, but the ones I use are all high lift as I like blues and greens best, so I have to get it pretty light! I believe they both have a bleach that isnít so high lift, but Iíve not used them. Basically, donít get a bleach thatís available in high street shops.

Low volume would be 10 most of the time. It might be worth getting a 20 and you can dilute it with water (by 50% to get 10 vol) the. You can do a couple of swatch tests. If you can spare some hair or use some hairbrush hair if you have some, mix up a little bleach and time how long it takes to change to the desired colour. Wrap it in cling film and make sure itís in a warm place, donít let it go cold. Your body heat keeps bleach working! This way you should get the perfect colour, itís unlikely youíll need two rounds. You just need to get it a ginger colour and thatís usually pretty easy, even when people donít want it! ;)
New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules*
Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum Privacy & Cookies Policy can be seen here
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2018

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories