• Welcome to Hair Dye Forum - Alternative Hair Dye Chat, Help and Photos.
 

News:

Forum Upgrade - the forum has had a big upgrade and this paves the way for some new features.  We have created a posted under the 'Technical' section for members to report any problems or missing items they may see.  It will take a while to sort everything out but will be better for all members in the long run :)

Main Menu

My fingers are in agony! Does bleach usually do this? D:

Started by laura, 12 Jan 10 / 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laura

I've been bleaching my hair for yeeears and this has never happened before. Probably because I didn't use gloves this time but anyway :|
The tips of my fingers have done that thing where they go all spotty and white, they're really really sore. Please tell me I'm not the only one that gets this haha. Any short term solutions for the pain?

~x~Becca~x~

lol yer thats normal if you dont wear gloves , all i can think of is washing them in some nice soapy water and putting some savlon on maybe??...at least youll know for next time though lol

hevaeyre

yep, its bleach burn. It happens if you get bleach on your skin at all :( get it washed and moisturise. you may notice your skin is very very pale where it was in contact too!

Nickki

We check all bleach kits when they arrive and have had this from handling occassional one thats leaked and removed from stock etc, so you should always wear gloves when using or handling bleach.  As others say wash hands thoroughly and use a good moisturiser - granted as you posted 3 days ago theres a very big chance you've already done this :D but thought I would say for others who come across the thread in future.
- Any information or advice given is my opinion only and not professional advice.
- Click here to like Beeunique on Facebook.
- New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting.


Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

laura

Yeah, I just went to bed and woke up with them feeling fiiiine :)
It was really weird, didn't feel like a stinging burn kind of thing, but they were throbbing like they'd been slammed shut in a car door :O

Nickki

Yeah, I was freaked out first time too - had odd pain feeling and white blotches on them!  Very strange, but like you next day they were fine but I was worried at the time.
- Any information or advice given is my opinion only and not professional advice.
- Click here to like Beeunique on Facebook.
- New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting.


Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

Vibration

Yeah. I got that once, real bad.
Using old old gloves like a muppet I was.

Anyway, not much you can do.
Just wash your hands loads with soap.
When that doesn't do jack -- just wait about a day. And you'll be okay.

typhoid

You should always be using gloves when handling an irritant such as bleach.

Wash any skin immediately after exposure with plenty of water - truly flush the area to remove any traces of bleach and stop the reaction. I would not recommend using soap on a fresh chemical burn as it would irritate the wound and sting like the bejesus (ever gotten soap in a fresh cut?). Then give the skin a few days to heal, avoiding soap while the wound is still throbbing if you can, and avoid using perfumed products such as moisturisers or other cosmetics near the burn. You may benefit from using a dab of antiseptic such as Savlon or using a burn cream such as Bepanthen. Keep your fingers clean and don't go dipping your fingertips on anything that is likely to harbour a lot of bacteria. And next time, learn your lesson and use gloves. Continued burns from bleach can cause you to develop an allergic reaction to it, so do a patch test on unbroken skin before the next time you bleach your roots (and please follow the same principles for bleaching your roots, avoid getting bleach on your scalp if at all possible and do not leave it there to burn if you get some on your hairline or ears. Wipe it off immediately with a dampened cloth.)