Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Instagram Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Twitter 

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: PEC and Hair Reconstructors  (Read 3142 times)  Share 

spooki

PEC and Hair Reconstructors
« on: 24 Oct 13 / 03:26 PM »
I saw a blog post about this today and though some of you would find this interesting:

Does any hair repair product really work?

There is hope, however, because of new one technology that works differently. This technology is based on a polyelectrolyte complex, or PEC for short. This PEC complex consists of a negatively charged ion (PVM/MA copolymer) and a positively charged ion (Polyquaternium-28.)  This combination of positive and negative charges creates a single complex with the unique ability to stick to damage hairs and to itself.

How does PEC technology repair hair?

What does all this mean? Well, instead of just coating the outside of hair like most conditioners do, the tiny PEC molecules are able to enter the split ends of hair. Because the complex can stick to the damaged hair protein and to other complex molecules, it creates little bridges across the open ends of the splits. As your hair dries, the water evaporates from the complex causing it to contract.  The force of this contraction pulls the end of the split hairs back together again. Once the PECs are dry they bind the split end shut.

http://thebeautybrains.com/2012/02/01/hair-repair-new-technology-really-works/

There is a video in the post that shows how certain hair reconstructors actually work. It's pretty cool seeing it in action.

• Dye-Hard
  • Current Colour: green and pink cruella
Re: PEC and Hair Reconstructors
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 13 / 05:50 PM »
Really interesting. And good to know that the Joico split end mender that I buy has this technology. :)

• Dye-Hard
  • Current Colour: pastel pink, lilac, white, silver
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 13 / 06:22 PM »
This is really fascinating! Thanks for posting this!
Always remember to consider what your hair is going to feel like after processing it BEFORE you do it! Test strands, treatments/oils are important when it comes to hair, but the most important thing is patience!

Alexia

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 13 / 10:06 PM »
This is interesting.

Silly question... are PECs in your everyday reconstructor, or is it an entirely new/different product?

ModifiedMomma

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 13 / 12:35 AM »
This is interesting.

Silly question... are PECs in your everyday reconstructor, or is it an entirely new/different product?

You could always check the ingredients list for Polyquaternium-28.  Some retailers even list ingredients online.

spooki

« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 13 / 03:40 PM »
This is interesting.

You could always check the ingredients list for Polyquaternium-28.  Some retailers even list ingredients online.
just make sure it also has PVM/MA copolymer too. you need both for the "magic" to happen. i've noticed they tend to not be right next to each other in the ingredients list so you need to really look close.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 13 / 12:47 PM »
Does it specifically have to be 28? I have a few products that say Polyquaternium-32 (or 37 i cant remember which) but they dont have the PVM/MA copolymer in them anyway. But either way, if a product does have the PVM/MA copolymer, does it have to specifically have Polyquaternium-28 or can it be a different number at the end? (what do those #s even mean anyway?)

These products have the magic Polyquaternium-28 + PVM/MA copolymer combo in them:

Nexxus Pro Mend Conditioner
Joico Kpak Reconstruct Split End Mender
Tresemme Split Remedy Conditioner

Im pretty excited to buy the tresemme as i know its a lot cheaper than nexxus or joico. I cant wait to try it out! Glad i found this out, just in time for bleaching! Does anyone else know of any other products that have the magic combo?

Moderator combined posts. Please use Modify post rather than double posting.
Always remember to consider what your hair is going to feel like after processing it BEFORE you do it! Test strands, treatments/oils are important when it comes to hair, but the most important thing is patience!

Alexia

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 13 / 01:22 PM »
Disappointingly I think the Tresemme one is a "cone".  :(

spooki

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 13 / 01:30 PM »
Does it specifically have to be 28? I have a few products that say Polyquaternium-32 (or 37 i cant remember which) but they dont have the PVM/MA copolymer in them anyway. But either way, if a product does have the PVM/MA copolymer, does it have to specifically have Polyquaternium-28 or can it be a different number at the end? (what do those #s even mean anyway?)
I'm not 100% sure, but since all polyquaterniums are positively charged they might work with the negatively charged PVM/MA copolymer. Can't say for sure but #28 might work best for split mending.

The different numbers indicate a chemically different polymer, each one is made of something different but all have quaternary ammonium centers.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 13 / 07:29 PM »

Ah s**t. Eh, im still going to try it. I wonder, are the results permanent? Or do they wash out the next time you wash or do they "wear off' so to speak, eventually?

• Janine Basil Pop Accessories
« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 13 / 07:40 PM »
I would expect it washes out, at least with clarifying shampoo.

I'm also wondering, would it also coat the outside of the shaft?
New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules*
Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

• Dye-Hard
  • Current Colour: green and pink cruella
« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 13 / 08:29 PM »
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2007/cc058n04/p00451-p00476.pdf

For anyone interested in the science, here is a paper from the journal of cosmetic science.

They claim its a semi-permanent form of repair so it will work similarly to semi dyes. It will slowly be washed out/ weakened.

Alexia

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 13 / 09:31 PM »

Ah s**t. Eh, im still going to try it. I wonder, are the results permanent? Or do they wash out the next time you wash or do they "wear off' so to speak, eventually?

I admit, I read your post during my lunch hour, and I immediately went to the local Boots to check out the product.  I was about to buy it!

Please do post your thoughts about it.  I am so tempted myself...

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 13 / 04:57 AM »
Well i bought it! And it was on sale from $6 to $3.75 (yay) ! Im going to try it out in the morning + il update here. And thank you puerkz for the link! I am going to read through it in the AM as well :)

Alexia

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 13 / 07:07 AM »
Well done, and a great bargain too! Let us know what you think. I may try it out after my silicone-free phase passes,  ha ha.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 13 / 12:15 PM »
There was actually a few different forms of the same tresemme one. I bought the actual conditioner, but they had a leave in conditioner (which i spritzed on the ends of a small piece of my hair at the store haha) which came in a spray bottle. Then there was another kind, a "conditioning treatment" which came in a spray bottle too, all three had the 2 ingredients in them. 

Wicked Pixie

« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 13 / 12:51 PM »
I bought the shampoo and conditioner, half price in Tesco, 2.49 each (but the offer finishes today.)
I don't know if I will use them  on my own hair, I normally CO wash with no silicones. I do want to fade my colour though (medium purple, a mix of Plum and Neon blue, I'm not feeling it :/) so now would be a good time to try them. I don't have any split ends that I can see though, it just feels a bit rougher towards the ends since I used JoBaz on it. So I am unecided lol.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 13 / 01:11 PM »
My hair is the same, i dont have any split ends but my very ends just feel a bit rough,not suprised since i did 2 color removers and a bleach bath over the past couple weeks. Im going to use it + il report back on what i think. The bottle says it mends 80% of split ends within 3 days so i may have to use it a few times to feel a difference from it. I read somewhere online, this woman uses it 2-3 x per month, clarifies once a month + uses semis on her hair + she said shed recommend it to anyone.

@janineb if you click on the link puerkz posted you can read on page 23 the answer to your question about if it binds to the outside of the hair shaft. From my understanding, it binds to the damaged parts of the hair because those parts are more negatively charged. So it helps pull + give a semi permanent seal to split ends, it helps seal lifted damaged parts to the cuticle in the same way, etc. It really is fascinating.

Moderator combined posts.

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #18 on: 02 Nov 13 / 06:23 PM »
 Argh I bought the serum, what on earth made me think that was what you ladies were talking about?!

Oh it has that in too apparantly

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum Privacy & Cookies Policy can be seen here
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2019

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories