Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

[NEWS] - We have a new home...

Beeunique has moved to a new warehouse where we can hold larger stocks and bring in new brands (including Pravana).  Customers within 30 miles of Dundee can now order online paying by card and then collect their orders to save time and postage costs :)

Author Topic: Bleaching advice and info  (Read 24258 times)  Share 

Offline Pippachainsaw

• Thanks Received: 305
  • Pippa: A term for a girl who always hurts herself
  • Current Colour: faded turq/flo glow and bubblegum blue cruella
Bleaching advice and info
« on: 26 Nov 10 / 09:15 PM »
Hello there!

Right thereís been a lot of questions on how to fade hair colour, bleach hair, bleach bath and how to try and repair bleach damage. Hereís some advice on what weíve learnt from experience

Colour B4:
Before I mention bleaching I canít recommend colour b4 enough! It strips colour from your hair taking the colour pigments from your hair. The maker of the product says that isnít suitable for vegetable dyes, but Iíve seen otherwise.
Hereís a really useful link: http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=893.0
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=colour+b4&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Soap capping:
I also use washing up liquid to help strip my colour. This is also effective and better than bleaching your hair. I found using a well known brand worked much better than using a cheap one. I put it onto dry hair, put my hair in a carrier bag, left for half hour and quite a bit of colour washed out. Follow this with a deep conditioner.

Bleach bath:
If that doesnít work then try doing a bleach bath. To do this you mix bleach with shampoo. Itís a lot gentler on hair than doing a full bleach, but this has to be done over a period of time, Put the amount of shampoo you usually use when washing hair into a bowl, mix bleach separately. Once bleach is fully prepared add together. Youíll get better absorption if you do it on dry hair so you may need to add some water to the Ďbathí so that you can get a lather.. Then apply (use gloves!) until hair is evenly covered, then keep checking hair development,  5-10 minutes is enough, then wash as usual and deep condition.
an amazing tutorial from our very own sins_n_needles:
http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=995.0

Bleaching:
Depending on the colour you are starting from to what colour you want to achieve depends on how longs and what volume you should use. For instance if you are a naturally brunette then you shouldnít go higher then a 20% vol bleach. Leave this on for 10-20 mins, checking the colour development, once youíve achieved your desired colour, wash the bleach out.

If you are naturally darker then you may need a 30 or 40% bleach, especially if trying to get rid of other dyes.

Over bleached:
Now if you have made the terrible mistake of over bleaching hair and have fried it. Like I did and am still recovering from. The best treatment is to get the fried bits cut off but I understand that not everybody is willing to part with their newly dyed do. If you want to keep your style youíll need to:

ē   Stay away from heat! Seriously youíll ruin your hair beyond all repair!
ē   Donít re-bleach your hair, for minimum of a month, but the longer the better in all honesty
ē   Treat your hair like a queen, deep condition it. I like to leave hair masks and deep conditioners on over night, I apply these to dry hair fro better absorption.
ē   You can also try using a protein treatment, hereís a handy review
http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=519.0
Itíll repair the actual hair, but leaves it dry, so deep condition!
ē   But the best advice is to not let it happen! Itís easily avoided, so please try not to do it
EDIT: i've since used this and it fixed my gummy hair
http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=1320.0

This is what Iíve learnt from my own experience and learnt from here. If Iíve missed anything or anybody else has helpful pointers or questions please add to this.
Spreading rainbow domination across the nation...

Sitting here with nothing but glitter in my teeth.

New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules* Please click the *heart* button on the left if a post is helpful to you.

Offline Nickki

• Thanks Received: 239
    • Beeunique
  • Current Colour: SFX Atomic Pink
Re: Bleaching advice and info
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 10 / 02:04 PM »
Very helpful indeed pippa - thank you.
I have also stickied this in the bleaching section as it contains alot of very useful and frequently asked for information.
- Any information or advice given is my opinion only and not professional advice.
- Click here to like Beeunique on Facebook.
- New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

- Please click the *heart* button on the left if a post is helpful to you.

Offline Gothicle

• Senior Hair Addict
  • Thanks Received: 62
    • facebook.com
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 11 / 08:41 PM »
Ive never heard of a soap cap, ill be sure to try that next time =]
<3 from Popsicle =]

Offline Pippachainsaw

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 11 / 09:23 PM »
it's really quite good, but fairy defo's works better than cheap washing up liquid =)

New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules* Please click the *heart* button on the left if a post is helpful to you.

Offline sinead849

• Thanks Received: 0
« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 11 / 11:34 PM »
hi there peeps can anyone help ...im going to bleach my hair next time to make red brighter? do i need to get powder and peroxide liquid? im using the nuclear red in my hair atm and want it to be bright !
sinead

Offline Mathurine

• Dye-Hard
  • Thanks Received: 273
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 11 / 12:01 PM »
There's plenty of bleach kits out there that you can use, or you can buy the peroxide and powder seperately. I use XXL Ice Blonde which makes my hair very light indeed! It's less smelly than ordinary bleach too. So you have several options. Bleach bathing can get your hair very pale but if you want your hair bright - really bright - then get your hair as light as possible without frying your hair. If the first bleaching doesn't work then wait a month before trying again. If your hair doesn't seem to want to be bleached then try a bleach bath once a week, keep up the conditioning in between and that should hopefully do it.
"If less is more then just think how much more MORE would be!" - Frasier

Awarded "Dye-namite Poster" status by Forum Admin & Moderators.
This member's knowledge and help on the forum is recognised as to DYE for!

Offline Kitten13

• Junior Hair Addict
  • Thanks Received: 1
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 11 / 04:59 PM »
I'm planning on lightening my hair this weekend (it's currently black with two red chunks at the front) and using Special Effects Candy Apple Red all over. I've bought Colour B4 (the extra strength one) to give it a go, as I've never used it before. But I have a feeling, as I've been bleaching various sections for a while, and last year I bleached it all to go from black to mid-brown/red, that it's coming to come out pretty uneven and patchy. From the sounds of things, Colour B4 doesn't damage your hair too much, would anyone know if it's be safe/sensible to do a bleach bath a day or two after the Colour B4 to even it out? I've just got my hair back into decent condition from the lat round of bleaching I did over a year ago, so I don't want to totally fry it with a full bleach, if that makes sense?

Has anyone tried this before? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks xx
~I've been put upon this earth in female form.
But I can handle myself with the best of you,
As well as the worst.~

Offline Pippachainsaw

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 11 / 05:13 PM »
hey, well b4 doesn't damage your hair, so you'll be fine to bleach bath after using =) but i would wait a day, as you said, just to let your hair breath. black is a nightmare to get out, so it may take more than one round o0f b4 and bleach bathings im afriad. good luck though =)

Offline Kitten13

• Junior Hair Addict
  • Thanks Received: 1
« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 11 / 05:26 PM »
Cool, ok. Well, I've got my heart set on having bright red hair for the summer, so even if it takes a few goes, I will make it happen. Hopefully without melting my hair in the process!

Thanks hun   :)
~I've been put upon this earth in female form.
But I can handle myself with the best of you,
As well as the worst.~

Offline hunnybunny

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 11 / 11:01 PM »
Can can one help me please, I have dark black hair so its dark, i brought bleach and bleached my hair it has come blonde at the top of my hair and underneath of my hair but my hair length is up to my shoulder so that bit hasnt gone blonde it is still dark. Even though the top and underneath of my hair is blonde the colour of hot hot pink has worked. Thanks Patricia x

Offline nattie256

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 11 / 01:40 PM »
Hi, wondered if you could tell me if the soap capping with washing up liquid dries your hair out a bit?
My hair is in too good a condition for vegetable dyes anymore, I'm having to wash it every day. So I need some way to dry it out making the dyes take better but I wanted to find out if theres anyway before turning to the bleach.
Thanks
x

Offline Pippachainsaw

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 11 / 03:15 PM »
*hunny bunny* try doing a bleach bath, as this should help even the colour out

http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=995.0

*nattie256*

yeah the washing up liquid dries out your hair, not too much, but defo's need to condition after

Offline Pimpinett

• - living life as fiction.
« Reply #12 on: 01 Apr 11 / 06:30 AM »
I tried washing up liquid - brand name Yes, lots of it, on dry hair - followed with hot (well, more like warm) coconut oil yesterday. It did fade my hair quite nicely.

Background: I have waist length hair dyed black, about three-fourths of it with permanent dyes, most of the remaining hair carefully with brown-black semi-perm (I've been planning ahead for a while) + a couple of inches of roots that are only coloured with one of those one-component colour mousse thingies. I aim to go gradually from black to dark blonde, trying to keep my hair in decent condition with at least some of the length, although I count on chopping off a good bit. I'm not in a hurry, so I think it should be feasible.

After two goes of Color B4 and various mild stripping with anti-dandruff shampoo, hot oil treatments and the like I am now mostly at a very dark brown shade, with a fairly nice, gradual fade to light brown at the roots. It's not the prettiest hair I've ever had, but I wear it up in chignons all the time anyway, so it works, and I feel like I'm getting results, with no damage so far.

Next up; mild bleach baths on the ends, and probably a chop!

Offline UndeadPoh

• Dye-Hard
  • Thanks Received: 33
  • Current Colour: CC - Apricot & black
« Reply #13 on: 09 Jul 11 / 06:46 PM »
hmm, about the over bleaching, i've just bleach bathed my hair, and all my hair was a yellowy blonde, with faded pink roots, followed by dark blonde roots (really hair just a little darker) and it hasn't lifted my roots too much, i left them till last, and kept clingfilm on my hair while it developed, would it be okay to either bleach bathe my roots again tomorrow after leaving in conditioner overnight, or proper bleaching?
my roots are sort of light browny/mucky blonde, which is darker than my whitey yellow hair. i need an even base by thursday when i'm putting Directions Spring Green on my hair, ideas?

Offline kiakovvy

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 11 / 06:20 PM »
Just bought the colour b4, this was really useful to find out about seeing as If I had bleached it straight away from what it is now it would have just gone orange :S

Offline AuntyT

« Reply #15 on: 03 May 12 / 12:02 AM »
Great advice, thank you! My hairdresser nearly went mental at me when I said I was going to bleach my hair so I could get it bright pink, so I was wondering what to do. It has XXL red in at the mo, and I'm naturally brown but with a scary amount of grey these days :'(
Hadn't heard of Colour b4 and it sounds like a good thing to try so have just ordered some. If it can strip enough of the red out, I reckon that the amount of grey should give me a good bright pink. Never thought I'd be pleased about the grey!  ;D
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :D

Offline Pippachainsaw

« Reply #16 on: 03 May 12 / 12:28 AM »
yay! glad you found this helpful. aot of ladies have had great success with xxl reds & cb4. so good luck =)

also grey hairs tend not to hold colour as well as regular bleached hair, as it is already porus. you may be one of the lucky ones & don't notice the difference, but wanted to prewarn you =)

welcome!

Offline Firefox7275

• Junior Hair Addict
  • Thanks Received: 61
« Reply #17 on: 03 May 12 / 02:44 AM »
AuntyT I have just got rid of Live XXL red; it took four Jo Baz/ Colour B4's (last one was to sort out a mistake) and three (gentle) blonde box dyes. You could substitute a bleaching or bleach baths for the box dyes as Pippachainsaw explains, I just have sensitive skin. If you read around my posts you will see what I did and what I learned - mainly to be patient!
Sulphate-free 2b Curly Girl working towards Directions rose red! Armpit length heading for waist.

Offline AuntyT

« Reply #18 on: 04 May 12 / 01:14 PM »
Thanks Pippachainsaw. I had a scan around about dyeing grey hair and saw that people have mixed results. Mine picks up the XXL really well, and gives a bit of a high/lowlight effect as the grey dyes a different colour than the non-grey, so I'm hopeful that the SFX will do the same. Only one way to find out! :D

Don't have much time to be patient Firefox7275 - got to try to get myself pink for the 12th May for the London Moonwalk! Nothing like leaving things till the last minute... Might try an XXL blonde if the Colour B4 doesn't do the job, but I'm guessing  the CB4 will be kinder.

I'll try and get before, during and after photos, as I suspect it could be an interesting process!

So impressed with this forum - tons of really useful advice and real results, which is fab :D

Offline Pippachainsaw

« Reply #19 on: 04 May 12 / 04:25 PM »
just be carefl. wash your hair for AGES after cb4, as you run the risk of reoxiding the dye when you use xxl blonde & end up black =s good luck though =)

Offline AuntyT

« Reply #20 on: 04 May 12 / 05:05 PM »
Ooh blimey, don't want that! Will rinse and rinse a lot, thanks. Starting to realise that I really haven't left enough time for all this... which is about par for the course for me ;)

Offline Firefox7275

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 12 / 08:23 PM »
If you are really short of time try this with each Jo Baz/ Colour B4
http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=6197.0
Also maybe wash your hair twice a day after the stripper and before the bleach, that should get more colour molecules out, but don't use silicone conditioners or styling products because that could lock colour molecules in. IMO don't heat style for the duration because your hair is going to be in a vulnerable state. Your hair will probably feel like straw the whole way through, but you can pull that back with intensive treatments when you are done; if you fry your hair with bleach or end up reoxiding the Live XXL you can't really fix that.  ???
Sulphate-free 2b Curly Girl working towards Directions rose red! Armpit length heading for waist.

Offline AuntyT

« Reply #22 on: 05 May 12 / 11:47 AM »
Thanks Firefox  *thx*  Luckily I don't use any heat styling with my hair - it's curly, so looks better just left to dry naturally than blow dryed (frizz!), and hair straighteners just don't do it - tried them once, got it straight-ish, then went out in drizzle and was back to curly again, so that was a waste of an a waste of an hour! 
How do I know which conditioners have silicon? Just scanned the ingredients of my usual L'oreal Elvive colour protect (which I guess I don't want to use through this process?), and can't see anything that says silicon...

Offline Firefox7275

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #23 on: 06 May 12 / 05:04 PM »
Silicones are anything with the suffix -cone, -conol or -xane. I am curly too, can highly recommend going sulphate surfactant free for hair health and colour longevity.

Offline AuntyT

« Reply #24 on: 11 May 12 / 10:47 PM »
Thanks for all the help, the Colour B4 did the trick. Just used it once, rinsed like a mad thing (good tip as someone said in another post to have a clock, as it does take longer than you think). That stripped the Red XXL out to a sort of pale copper, and it's picked up the Atomic Pink a treat, just in time for the Moonwalk tomorrow. Happy Days  *1*

The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more information
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2014
Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories