Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: FAQ: Tattoos  (Read 12166 times)  Share 

• Junior Hair Addict
FAQ: Tattoos
« on: 05 Oct 10 / 11:36 PM »
Aftercare and suchlike for tattoos:

I heard getting a tattoo hurts like hell and I'm a huge sissy!
Well, it's a very subjective thing. If you're Hank Hardass you probably won't have a problem. If you cower when the doctor pulls out a syringe, it might be harder. Someone said to me, 'When I got mine both in one sitting, I found the first one didn't hurt, probably because of the adrenaline and excitement of getting it. By the time she got to my other arm, the adrenaline wore off and it was significantly more painful'. Also remember different places hurt differently. When there's less tissue between skin and bone, or more nerves, it will hurt more.

Well, pain won't be a factor since I'll be getting drunk beforehand
That is a big no-no for several reasons:
1. Alcohol thins the blood and makes you bleed a lot more
2. The extra bleeding could mess up the tattoo you've just gotten and spent hard-earned cash on.
3. An ethical artist won't work on somebody who has been drinking

How do I find a good artist?
Google your city for tattoo places and look through the websites. Every good shop has a site by now. Most of the sites have galleries of each artist's work. Or if you want the real deal, visit the place and look through the portfolios there.

Now for aftercare. This is from the son of Ed Hardy and has consistently amazing results. Anybody who tells you your tattoo SHOULD be scabbing up horribly really hasn't a clue.

The idea of washing the tattoo with cold water is comforting, but bad. When you take of the initial bandage (after at LEAST 4 or 5 hours, longer [up to 24 hours] is better), you MUST MUST MUST wash the tattoo thoroughly in water as hot as you can stand it, then a little bit hotter. You want any dried lymph and blood to be able to loosen up a bit. Showers are great, but do NOT soak it in a bathtub, swimming pool, hot tub, or a lake or ocean.

Although you do NOT want to use a washcloth or sponge on your healing tattoo at all, you DO want to thoroughly and somewhat aggressively wash the living hell out of your tattoo with your fingertips and soapy water to make sure that you get ALL of the coagulated blood and lymph off of the tattoo. Leaving any of this on the tattoo will lead to a scab, which means a rough healing process that can leave you with a fuzzy, busted tattoo. After washing, pat the tattoo dry with a paper towel and then apply a TINY amount of Bepanthen ointment (you can find this in Boots. A TINY AMOUNT is the key. You do not want to smother your tattoo in a slather of goo, just put enough on for the tattoo to absorb.

Don't cover your tattoo with another bandage, but you DO want to wash your tattoo off every couple of hours, dry it, and apply the ointment again. Keeping the tattoo clean is imperative to the healing. It absolutely doesn't matter if the soap is anti-bacterial or not; any mild soap will be fine, just make sure it's unfragranced. Just make sure that when you wash your tattoo that your hands are clean before you touch it, so wash your hands thoroughly first. How can you tell if you have washed your hands well enough? When washing, get all the nooks and crannies while singing the "ABC" song. By the time you finish the childhood melody, your hands should be well clean enough to now wash your tattoo.

Remember to do the above steps for THREE DAYS ONLY. Using any kind of ointment for longer than that can lead to complications. Just keeping the tattoo clean will be fine, you don't need to use Savlon or anything. After the initial three days of washing the tattoo like an obsessive-compulsive ape, just wash the tattoo 2-3 times a day and start applying a tiny, tiny dab of mild, unscented skin lotion to the tattoo on a limited basis. Something like unscented E45 cream. Don't use the lotion too much though. Obsessing on it and applying the lotion too often can lead to clogged pours and pimples on and around the tattoo.

A few days after all this, your tattoo shouldn't scab, but it will peel like a sunburn. If this is the case, congratulations, you followed the above instructions well. These peelings will be the colours of the tattoo though, and that looks awful. Don't worry though, it's not the tattoo falling out, but rather the epidermis exfoliating and carrying with it any excess pigment. Your tattoo is healing beneath that in the dermis, so don't freak out if it looks like your arm is excreting some kind of fruity children's breakfast cereal flakes.

After the tattoo is done peeling, it will look slightly shiny and waxy. At this point you can still use lotion whenever it feels too dry, but it's pretty much going to be doing fine on it's own. If the skin feels tight, you can use something like E45, cocoa butter, etc at this point because the skin is no longer open or abraded. The tattoo will take around 1-2 weeks of really babying it and then an additional 2-4 weeks of going completely back to normal. Tattooed skin actually takes around 6 weeks to absolutely, 100% heal if cared for properly. During that time, please, please, please keep it out of too much sun exposure. ESPECIALLY during the initial 2 weeks of healing. Your new skin has no real protection against UV rays, and going to get a tan on a healing tattoo will f**k it royally. Also, once your tattoo is healed, start putting a heavy sunblock on it whenever you go out for a day in the sun. What SPF? I honestly advise a SPF 50 or above. Consider your tattoo a long-term investment. Keeping the UV off of it will keep it looking good for years to come.

Other things to remember while it's healing: Don't wear tight clothing on your tattoo while healing. It's especially important if you get a tattoo on your leg to wear shorts, culottes, a dress, or something that won't rub on the tattoo. Pants rubbing on tattoo = bad heal. If you got a tattoo on your waistline, wear something that is not constricting as much as possible for the first week.

Hope this helps some people :)
-= The Girl Anachronism =-

The following users thanked this post: missyboo

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
Re: Tattoos
« Reply #1 on: 06 Oct 10 / 11:51 AM »
My last tattoo was the first one I'd had done for a long time and the advice was pretty much the same as that, which was new to me because ages ago it was all about the "scab" etc which was obviously wrong but at the time we oldies didn't know any better.

Because my new tattoo was on my hand it needed extra protection so the advice I got was to wash as above, leave it uncovered as long as possible, don't get it wet other than washing it and re-cover it in cling film when I went out to protect it. I got no scabs at all and the "peeling" that teh_niarr mentioned didn't really happen much, just a little around the edges of the tattoo which was barely noticeable. The extra advice I would give here is that if you get scabs or peeling - leave it the hell alone! Dirty fingers (even if they look clean) can cause an infection which will ruin the tattoo and taking parts of your skin off that's just been inked even sounds silly so don't do it! You'll ruin it and if the skin doesn't heal properly the tattoo will be crooked as well as pale in the patch that you picked at.

Most tattoo artists now are using cling film to cover a tattoo as it doesn't stick to the lymph leaking out of your skin. Peeling kitchen paper off a fresh tattoo is painful and damaging to the artwork and this is a life time commitment, not a picture you hang on your wall that you can take down in a year or two if you get fed up with it. If you have to cover your tattoo use cling film, don't leave tissue paper or kitchen paper on it for any length of time except to dab at it when you're drying it. Don't use brand new towels either, the fluff gets in the lymph which doesn't damage anything coz it'll come off after a while but it itches like crazy and you can't scratch at it so avoid it if you can.

Get a basic "tattoo care kit" together before you get your tattoo done so it's ready when you get home:

Old but clean towel to avoid the fluff situation. Make sure no one else uses YOUR towel!
Bepanthen either in a tub or squeezy tube. Do NOT use Savlon or other medicated cream!
Unscented soap bar - I prefer bars coz you can rub them on the tattoo but liquid soap works well if you use your fingers as above.
cling film but NOT the one in the kitchen, get a new one especially for the job and keep it somewhere clean.

Also, as mentioned before, get your clothes in order. Don't leave yourself with nothing to wear but your tight, skinny jeans. Get all your baggy clothes washed and ready and make sure they get washed and ready for the next time.
"If less is more then just think how much more MORE would be!" - Frasier

Awarded "Dye-namite Poster" status by Forum Admin & Moderators.
This member's knowledge and help on the forum is recognised as to DYE for!

• Junior Hair Addict
Re: Tattoos
« Reply #2 on: 06 Oct 10 / 01:20 PM »
We're a damn good double team ;) a point for itchy tattoos- obviously you don't want to scratch whilst you're healing, so giving the tattoo a few good slaps will alleviate the itch without taking your new tattoo with it.

• Beeunique
  • Current Colour: SFX Nuclear Red
Re: FAQ: Tattoos
« Reply #3 on: 06 Oct 10 / 01:57 PM »
Brilliant info - So good infact I have amended the topic title to 'FAQ: Tattoos' and made this into a sticky.
Cheers chaps :D
- Any information or advice given is my opinion only and not professional advice.
- Click here to like Beeunique on Facebook.
- New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 10 / 12:35 PM »
Our studio has stopped using bepanthen in the last year as people were complaining of a burning sensatin when applying it. SO me being a believer of practice what you preach tried it after id had 6 hours on my thigh and had to jump straight in the shower and scrub it off screaming :( I think they have upped the parafin in it.

Anyone else found this?

We now sell sachets of A&D ointment which is amazing i have never used anything better! A tiny bit goes a loooong way and as its in sachets its much more hygenic.

Just a little tip :D

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 10 / 01:47 PM »
Oh wow! When I had my kids I was reading the packets of baby wipes and creams etc and was shocked at how much parrafin they put in - we're sticking this on our kids!?! I was surprised that there's not more of a reaction to it.

I had Bepanthen when I had my last tattoo done and got given it by the tattoo artist herself. Normally I won't buy the stuff becaue of their advert (the old one, the new one's much better) but it showed a baby girl's "hoo-hah" and I just thought that was plain wrong so I refused their products on principle. Living on the south coast we're riddled with known paedophile's and lord knows how many unkown ones too and I hate the fact that baby products feel the need to show baby bits on tv when a grown up can't even show a bit of butt crack on a tattoo program.

Anywho, my rant has sent me off course entirely. ;D If anyone can recommend a gentle non medicated cream or oil for after care of tattoo's please post them here.

• Pippa: A term for a girl who always hurts herself
  • Current Colour: faded pravana violet, manic panic atomic turquoise, special effects napalm orange and directions cerise
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 10 / 06:42 PM »
i used vitamin e cream on my last tattoo (from boots, in a pink tub) on my ribs and it didn't scab at all. was fully healed within a week.
Spreading rainbow domination acro

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #7 on: 04 Nov 10 / 01:20 AM »
Our studio has stopped using bepanthen in the last year as people were complaining of a burning sensatin when applying it. SO me being a believer of practice what you preach tried it after id had 6 hours on my thigh and had to jump straight in the shower and scrub it off screaming :( I think they have upped the parafin in it.

Anyone else found this?

We now sell sachets of A&D ointment which is amazing i have never used anything better! A tiny bit goes a loooong way and as its in sachets its much more hygenic.

Just a little tip :D

Where abouts are you? I'm wondering if the change to the ingredients might be regional?

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 10 / 12:47 PM »

• Beeunique
  • Current Colour: SFX Nuclear Red
« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 10 / 02:22 PM »
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7509401/

Don't be like this guy!

That is brilliant!
Watched it twice with Martyn and we are both still laughing about it.
Genius!
- Any information or advice given is my opinion only and not professional advice.
- Click here to like Beeunique on Facebook.
- New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

empi

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 10 / 08:12 AM »
I use tattoo goo :D
the best stuff I have ever used however is hemp stuff for tattoos
----> tattooaftercare.co.uk

• Senior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: Adore Purple Rage
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 11 / 04:21 PM »
Good advice,been following it had tatts done 7 days ago their looking good,thanks
My hovercraft is full of eels !

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 11 / 11:51 PM »
using same advice for my new one now,its looking good no signs of scabbing or blurring,great advice.I had friend who let theres heal "the old way" and its 2wks old and still scabby,they wouldnt listen when I told them this advice. ::)

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 11 / 11:04 AM »
It really is a shame that so many people think scabs are good... Do they not understand the concept of a tattoo?!

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 11 / 11:15 PM »
It really is a shame that so many people think scabs are good... Do they not understand the concept of a tattoo?!

I know,theirs has gone all white and chalky looking.While mine looks great,its not even gone red or even feels sore.

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #15 on: 25 Mar 11 / 10:27 AM »
That's exactly how it sould be, you obviously look after it well.

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #16 on: 25 Mar 11 / 05:43 PM »
That's exactly how it sould be, you obviously look after it well.

Im so glad i read this guide before I had them done,and will direct people here who are having tatts

tuhin115

« Reply #17 on: 13 May 11 / 06:27 PM »
i think those are couple of good ideas to encourage tattoo lovers

thorleygreen

« Reply #18 on: 02 Jun 11 / 02:04 PM »
I like tattoos .I want tattoo of owl on my shoulder .I think it will look nice.

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #19 on: 04 Jun 11 / 07:46 PM »
Im having a new one next week (all being well if we have the ) Im having an octopus :D

• Current Colour: faded pravana violet, manic panic atomic turquoise, special effects napalm orange and directions cerise
« Reply #20 on: 04 Jun 11 / 07:55 PM »
we can be tattoo buddies =D im getting 2 on fridayyyy

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #21 on: 05 Jun 11 / 09:38 PM »
What you having? Im having mine on Weds ;)

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #22 on: 05 Jun 11 / 11:25 PM »
I know one of Pippa's new tattoo's and I'm not tellin' lol!

« Reply #23 on: 06 Jun 11 / 02:59 PM »
im keeping ^that one^ a secret till its done, but im also getting shhh on the inside of my left index finger

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #24 on: 08 Jun 11 / 01:55 PM »
Aw cmon spill the beans ;) At least lets see a pic when youve had it done.Ive just had the outline of my Octopus done,getting it coloured in 2wks couldnt afford it all at once.Have decided to have a half sleeve of an underwater scene,will be doing it in bits and bats.Ill add a pic of the outline later,just got in.

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories