Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: Nail designs that we've done!  (Read 310 times)  Share 

• Janine Basil Pop Accessories
Nail designs that we've done!
« on: 30 Jun 17 / 02:04 PM »
I've recently got back into doing my nails because it's the only thing that stops me picking and chewing the skin around my nails, which I frequently do until I'm in a lot of pain and risk infections! Ick!

I need the thickness of gel or acrylic to help with this (I can't physically pick with my nails when they're too thick lol), but can't stand the filing done by other people! So I've been practising doing acrylic and gel and recently I think I've settled on gel.

So, this is leading to some playing around with designs. I thought I'd start a thread (we might have had one before, but I can't find it...) for all of our designs :)

This is my latest. It was white gel polish with a glow in the dark gel polish on top. Then I used a Moyou stamping plate for the designs and a generic white and black stamping polish and a Moyou pink stamping polish. Topped off with a couple of coats of gel top coat because I like the depth it gives.

This is the first time I've ever got stamping to work so it's a little wonky. But I got it to work so now I can work on making it batter :D

New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules*
Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

• Current Colour: Adore Mahogany over box brown, with oilslick peekaboo!
Re: Nail designs that we've done!
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 17 / 07:54 PM »
Excellent topic! I love doing my nails! At the moment I just use normal nail polish but I was contemplating learning to do gels on myself (but I'm a bit concerned that I'll be able to feel the pressure of the gel as I have very high arch nails and find pressure on them deeply uncomfortable).

Love your design Janine, very Pizazz from Jem and the Holograms!

Here are some of my faves I've done on myself!

« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 17 / 12:18 AM »
Love them! Is the blue dotty one dots or sequins?

I have a very strong C curve/arch too and on some of my fingers it starts to curve in and dig into my fingers, so I understand what you mean. Part of the reason I didn't like acrylic is because it made that much worse. But gel polish alone didn't at all.

I've never actually managed to get normal nail polish to stick to my nails for longer than a couple of days as it would always peel off no matter what I did. I tried all the things you shouldn't do, like filing the surface and all the things you should, like cleansing and capping the tip but nothing worked. I even had problems with the acrylic popping off because of this. I'm using hard gel now and it's not lifted in the slightest. So I'm rolling with it until I have  a problem, at which point I'll have to rethink :) fingers crossed it all works out fine!

« Reply #3 on: 02 Jul 17 / 05:12 PM »
Thank you :) it's just dots (Can't remember if I used a dotting tool or my trusty end of a hairgrip for them!) unfortunately the really shiny gold polish that made such a good accent on that has since broken all over my duvet!

Ooh I might try gel then in that case! I find polish lasts quite well on me but I'm lazy and I really hate having to remove it all the time! I was thinking of trying some nail wraps for my hols next month but I don't know if they would wrinkle and annoy me. I'm tempted by gel because of all the special finishes like glow in the dark or holographic etc

• Rose Gold Autumn - personal blog
  • Current Colour: Manic Panic Atomic Turquoise
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jul 17 / 05:29 PM »
wow gorgeous nails! I am rubbish at doing nails really, I'm more of a 'just buy a sparkly nail polish and wack loads on' kinda person. I don't have the skills to do cool designs, nor the patience to sit and have them done by someone else haha
Awarded "Dye-namite Poster" status by Forum Admin & Moderators.
This member's knowledge and help on the forum is recognised as to DYE for!

« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 17 / 10:59 PM »
lol What bugs me about a lot of the YouTubers is they only ever do their left hand (or right hand) and so show these perfect designs, but never how rubbish they look when attempting do them on your other hand with the 'wrong' hand. That's one thing that stops me freehanding designs. No idea how anyone does that!

I redid my nails the the other day. Made them way too long but got sick of filing so they're a bit messy and uneven lol

I followed this tutorial

From Natasha Lee apart from the embellishments. Because I don't have any nice ones!

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 17 / 08:37 PM »
Haha yeah I'm pretty much ambidextrous when it comes to writing and drawing (though weirdly I can't do other stuff with my left hand like brush my teeth or use a door key!) so I don't have a problem doing both hands - the only thing for me is I have quite shaky hands so sometimes if I'm tired they both come out not very neat! I'm thinking tomorrow if I get time before work I might have a go at drawing on my nails with sharpies and covering it in topcoat and see what effects I can come up with!
I love those talons! I'm too clumsy for long nails though, and I have to type a lot for work (and wear rubber gloves for handling samples etc)

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 17 / 04:54 PM »
Ooo I've been contemplating trying a sharpie thing, only with normal felt pens. I'm excited to see what you do. If you have time of course!

I just couldn't work with my nails that long so just had to file them down! I've been using hard gel to form the nails, so this time I decided to use that for some glassy tips!

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 17 / 08:50 PM »
I love those glassy tips! It reminds me of how they describe the nails in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles!

I tried sharpie stripes but the topcoat blurred it, I'm going to try a more tie dye type look with it next! (I've not even had time to remove the failed ones yet though haha!)

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 17 / 09:04 PM »
Oh that's annoying! Nail polish is a solvent, so I guess just being on the sharpie it would blur it? I've really only seen tie die like effects I think, that's probably why! Hindsight is a wonderful thing ;)

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 17 / 09:17 PM »
Yes, that's it nail polish acts as a solvent! I wondered how acrylic paints might react (but it seems a bit of a faff getting my paints out to try it! ) and I have a new eyeliner from Illamasqua that says it can be used for nail art if used with a topcoat so I may have to try that too! Hahah I wished I hadn't done them 10 mins before having to go to work, but then one of our patients said she thought they were really cool and asked how I'd done them so I guess they can't be so bad! (I've added a photo of them, I was having a bit of trouble uploading one!)

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 17 / 10:13 PM »
Yeah, I like them too actually! There is one method of applying top coat that would maybe help stop bleeding actually. It's called floating. You use a larger blob of top coat than normal and instead of dragging the brush over the nail directly, try and float it over the top of the liquid. Only thing is of course, it still won't work done just before work as it'll take longer to dry! I suspect it might not be enough to stop the bleeding. You never know. The other thing would be a water based topcoat before your normal one.

I've used acrylic paints a few times (only black and white as that's all I have) and it's fine actually. It'll still drag if you don't float the top coat at least a little bit, but it definitely bleeds less because it's dry by the time you finish. I just don't do it now as I can't do the right hand to match!

I forgot to say, the little silver stars are from a pack of temporary body tattoos I got in the sale. Perfect for something quick!

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 17 / 09:29 AM »
Haha thank you, looking at them now I don't actually think they look too bad, I think it was just because I knew they'd gone wrong and because a woman at work said "what HAVE you done to your nails?" but that was just the usual thing of that person not really sharing my tastes anyway! Ooh I hadn't heard of water based topcoats I'll look into that! If I get my day off tomorrow as I'm supposed to I will try the other method you mentioned. Actually I may try the acrylic paints thing over the weekend as I'm going to watch Primal Scream on Wednesday and I fancy a feature nail of the cover of Screamadelica!
The body tattoo thing is a great idea, I think the cheap bookshop in town here has some in their sale at the moment so I think I'll invest if they have any left when I next pass there.

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 17 / 11:37 AM »
I know you can get one waterbased top coat on Amazin that I've seen recommended. Search for "Little Ondine Natural Nail Polish Secret Base and Top Coat". It doesn't have a high shine and I don't think it lasts as well as normal top coat, but you can cover it with normal top coat!

« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 17 / 08:55 PM »
Interesting, that might open up a few possibilities for different materials and techniques then

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 17 / 09:58 AM »
I watch way too much stuff on my PC all day and sometimes watch youtube just loop stuff on the autoplay. Since I started doing my nails again it's given me a LOT of nail tutorials so I've been learning a lot lol I knew a far bit anyway from doing manicures during my hair and beauty days (short lived) but a lot more has changed in the nail world than the hair world. Or I just kept up with the hair world more?

You can use the waterbased top coat with the chrome powders and nail foils as it stops them cracking because of the solvent in normal top coat.

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 17 / 05:02 PM »
I got some gold leaf stuff for my nails today off amazon so I'm gonna play with that at the weekend

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 17 / 10:00 PM »
Ah makes sense! I'm dying to try chrome or holographic powders, that's the main reason I fancy getting the stuff for doing gels!

Looking forward to seeing what the gold leaf comes out like! I used silver leaf on my feature nail on the purple with green half moons look above (it was part of a Halloween costume as a pin up Bride of Frankenstein I did a couple of years back and I used silver leaf in my make up too)

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jul 17 / 03:20 PM »
Natasha Lee has just done a video about lots of chrome powders on normal nail polish!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatStR3rlN4

I ended up doing my nails again last night. I can't even remember why! I was just going to do one colour quickly... ended up doing something that took WAY longer than it should have because I had no idea how to do it and I was freehanding slightly curved lines! I like how it came out, but it shouldn't have taken so long lol

I went with a bit of negative see through glassy space again. Did a sort of extreme french tip in pastel blue and then filled in the area where my natural nails is visible with a bright yellow (base coat of white, badly done first so meant I had to do too many layers of yellow, it was a mess!) leaving a gap between. Then used the unicorn magic chrome powder on just the colours. That's one of the reasons it took so long. It's hard to put powder on tiny areas, but I became obsessed with doing it lol It doesn't even really show in the photos :p

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jul 17 / 07:28 PM »
Oh my goodness, I really love those! The gap is so cool!

« Reply #20 on: 17 Jul 17 / 04:09 PM »
wow love them! Looks really futuristic

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories