Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: Teeth whitening  (Read 274 times)  Share 

• Full Hair Addict
Teeth whitening
« on: 05 Apr 17 / 07:03 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with store bought teeth whitening products that actually work? I have tried generic whitening toothpaste and some cheaper/on offer kits where you put on gel and leave it for a few minutes etc but they seem to do absolutely nothing. I am actually amazed that they are allowed to sell stuff like that when it doesn't seem to do anything....

Anyway is there anything that might work without having to fork out for professional treatment? I checked the cost at my usual dentist and they charge 400 so that is not happening!

Thanks

• Current Colour: Adore Mahogany over box brown, with oilslick peekaboo!
Re: Teeth whitening
« Reply #1 on: 05 Apr 17 / 07:59 PM »
I've heard a lot of people talking about charcoal toothpaste lately, but I have concerns about how abrasive it might be - I'm giving it a while to see if it's a fad or see if any horror stories come out about it.

A few of my friends swear by oil pulling but I've not tried it myself.
New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules*
Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

• Janine Basil Pop Accessories
« Reply #2 on: 06 Apr 17 / 08:00 AM »
Oil pulling is bunk to be honest. There's little to no use in it.

I just looked up the charcoal for teeth. Same old buzz words used with "natural" products. Claims of amazing affects with just things like 'cleansing', 'removes toxins' etc. That alone gives enough of a idea its likely not true. Then when I see it's the same people that claim fluoride in toothpaste is bad for you (it's proven to be good for your teeth and not bad for your health in the small quantities we get it in toothpaste and water, it's naturally occurring in larger amounts in some bodies of water in fact and it's still safe) that's a big red flag.

So I went to see what dentists say and yep, it seems the way they whiten is what you and I suspect, it's highly abrasive. Don't do it.

I've looked this up many times because I have very yellow teeth. Don't do any of the home remedies/products. They pretty much all damage your enamel. It's not like bleaching your hair (which is exactly what some of these products do, bleach with strong chemicals) which we can grow back if it all goes wrong, we have a finite set amount of teeth. We don't grow more than what we have now. It's worth spending money if you just have to get it done. You'd end up spending that amount on the home treatments anyway as they're either rubbish, not permanent or do it slowly over time, so put something aside instead of spending it on products that can even be quite dangerous! :)

• Rose Gold Autumn - personal blog
  • Current Colour: Manic Panic Atomic Turquoise
« Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 17 / 11:45 AM »
i've looked in to this briefly before as I am a huge tea drinker so my teeth are a bit yellowy. But I have a few sensitive teeth thanks to braces when I was a teen (I had normal braces, plus an added brace thingy that attached to back teeth to try to expand the roof of my mouth - It didn't work and just left my back teeth in pain!) I'm terrified of using any methods, or store bought stuff, and leaving all of my teeth sensitive and painful. I think yes, if I had the money set aside, I would get it done at the dentists
Awarded "Dye-namite Poster" status by Forum Admin & Moderators.
This member's knowledge and help on the forum is recognised as to DYE for!

• Current Colour: Adore Mahogany over box brown, with oilslick peekaboo!
« Reply #4 on: 07 Apr 17 / 09:48 AM »
I did try a few of those ones where you use the little tray and the gel when I was younger (I'm quite paranoid as one of my front teeth is a little grey from an accident I had as a teenager) and they seemed to work temporarily but nothing that was worth the damage I suspect they caused (it's hard to say as I also used to drink lemon in hot water in the mornings which damaged my teeth pretty horribly, but I wouldn't be surprised if he whitening kits added to it - basically the tips of my canine teeth crumbled in the end!).

I would probably go as far as to say if you really feel like you need it done get it done professionally too. Just remember the more enamel you wear away, the more yellow your teeth will be in the future and even excess brushing can do this.

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories