Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: Sugar Waxing  (Read 911 times)  Share 

• Current Colour: Adore Mahogany over box brown, with oilslick peekaboo!
Sugar Waxing
« on: 30 Jun 16 / 09:17 PM »
Have any of you ever tried sugaring/ sugar waxing as a method of hair removal? It looks simple enough from the instructions of Pinterest but something tells me it may be more difficult than it looks! (Also it just seems to show it for underarms and legs and I want to use it on my face).

I did try teaching myself threading, but it was painful and difficult - I usually use wax strips but there were none in stock in our local shops today, I'm supposed to be going out tomorrow night but I have a 'tache like a walrus!  :laugh:
New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules*
Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

• Senior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: blonde
Re: Sugar Waxing
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 16 / 10:32 PM »
I've never tried making my own at home, I did try a store bought one on my legs and it did work but holy mother did it hurt. It actually ripped my hair so deeply that I bled a little (my hair did NOT want to leave!!) I probably didn't do it right though so don't go by my experience, lol. I would try a recipe from pinterest, but definitely try it on an area that can be hidden just in case you have a bad reaction to it.
life is too short to have boring hair...

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 16 / 10:44 PM »
Good point, I'll try it on my leg first and see what happens!

« Reply #3 on: 01 Jul 16 / 12:25 PM »
Update: It's really hard to make! I had 3 attempts, 2 went completely solid when they cooled and one didn't harden at all! It seems like there must be a very small window where it is cooked to the perfect consistency. I did try some of the one that didn't harden with some fabric strips (I was aiming for the hard wax originally). It did pull out some hair but it left the skin all blotchy and red. I'm not sure it's worth the effort haha!

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 16 / 03:25 PM »
well that stinks, I was really hoping that would work cause I need to wax soon too, but I guess i'll be making a trip to the salon

« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 16 / 03:46 PM »
Yeah it looked easy on the tutorials I watched but they say to wait for it to turn golden brown but then by the time you get it off the heat and out of the hot pan it's gone too far! It might be easier on a gas hob maybe coz the heat would be easier to control. It's really messy too! I think it'd probably be easier if I had been cooking a larger batch maybe as well, but I'm reluctant to waste a lot of sugar and lemon juice. I may try again at some point in the future but for now I'll stick to buying wax strips. And until I can find somewhere with wax strips in stock I'll stick to looking like a walrus!

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jul 16 / 04:49 PM »
I know that feeling! my problem isn't my upper lip its more the 2 catepillars above my eyes that keep trying to meet in the middle, I feel like I can't pluck enough, waxing is the only thing that keeps them at bay for more than a week! But I've just in the past year or so started getting hairs on my chin, thankfully they grow very slow and there are few enough to pluck but they are annoying none the less!

« Reply #7 on: 03 Jul 16 / 03:08 PM »
Ugh I get some on my chin now too! I think we all had a conversation on here a while ago about how nobody mentions chin hairs but so many of us get them!

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #8 on: 05 Jul 16 / 04:56 PM »
Oh yes I definitely have them. I hate to admit that sometimes if im not on top of plucking them (they do grow quickly) I find myself wanting to stroke my chin like a man with a full beard, its disturbing I know, but I just invision myself with a beard one day, even though I only have like 5 of them currently, I figure its only a matter of time before more start to show up. I even found one on my neck, but I do stay on top of that because its just gross. If I had the money I would totally laser it, but sadly I do not so i'll stick to plucking, waxing and shaving, lol

« Reply #9 on: 06 Jul 16 / 11:34 AM »
Hahaha I stroke my tache, I have to catch myself and stop doing it all the time!

I asked one of my friends about the sugar waxing and she says if you make the soft kind that you use fabric strips with it does work, but that it hardens up as you use it so you have to keep reheating it in the microwave (and I don't have a microwave unfortunately and a pan just seems to overcook it) I'm thinking it may be too cold in my house to make it too, maybe it just cools too fast?

• Janine Basil Pop Accessories
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jul 16 / 11:40 AM »
I get itchy chin. I find myself scratching like my boyfriend does when he's not shaved in a few days. I have waaaay more than 5 hairs now too.

« Reply #11 on: 06 Jul 16 / 11:43 AM »
Hahah I scratch my boyfriend's chin sometimes when we're watching tv coz he has a beard and it's nice to scratch!

Yeah I reckon I probably have more than 5 now, prob about 5 dark ones then a good few white fine ones.

« Reply #12 on: 06 Jul 16 / 11:52 AM »
I have 4 patches. One on either side of the tip of my chin and two on the underneath about 1cm down from the other two patches. There's too many to pluck now and they grow too fast. I shave them now. I wish I wasn't so embarrassed of them. I want to be that woman that doesn't care.

I can't wax in anyway either though, which is why I've said nothing so far! It brings me out in massive bumps at the follicles which then bleed heavily as the top is ripped off! Lovely. ;)

« Reply #13 on: 06 Jul 16 / 12:00 PM »
One of my friends can't wax, I think she must be allergic to it, it brings her out in terrible hives. Have you tried an epilator? I used to use one on my legs and whilst they do hurt the hair never really grows back the same.

It's hard isn't it, it would be lovely to not care but it really is still pretty taboo.

« Reply #14 on: 06 Jul 16 / 01:03 PM »
I can't take the pain of an epilator! I'm stupidly sensitive and it leaves me in tears in seconds. I can't even take the mild feeling of vibrating as it works. I can't hold vacuum cleaners well because they vibrate too much lol

« Reply #15 on: 06 Jul 16 / 02:47 PM »
Aw man, that sounds awful! I get neuralgia sometimes from thinks touching my face, so I never epilated my tache or anything, I wouldn't suggest threading for you either then coz I found in places that hurt worse than a tattoo! (not that I've ever had a tattoo on my face!)

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #16 on: 06 Jul 16 / 08:26 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Janine, I can't imagine  having that type of sensitivity it must drive you crazy. It sounds like overactive nerves or something, I have a client who comes for a massage once a week who has fibromyalgia and its very hard to work on her because her pain tolerance is so low, but she says that after the massage that the next couple of days don't hurt so bad and she can move around and do more. Granted that's an extreme case and I don't think you need that, it just reminded me of her when you said the vibration of the vacuum, because she also has had problems in the past with that too. I can't say I have dealt with that personally so I don't really have any tips other than what I do in her massage sessions to help. I kind of have the opposite thing, I have problems with not actually having much feeling to pain, I was diagnosed with brittle bone disease about 3 years ago and was walking around with a fractured rib and 2 broken fingers and I had no idea, it was the strangest thing, so now I have to have my wife check me over when I bump into things or take a fall, its a huge pain in the a**e, lol! But anyways getting back to sugar waxing, I did find another brand I think it was Nair and as long as I keep it on a candle melter it stays warm enough to use, and I was able to wax my legs the other night

« Reply #17 on: 07 Jul 16 / 08:22 AM »
I actually never thought of it being a medical issue. It's just the way I've always been so work around it lol I'm always super sensitive to friction on my skin, even with oils etc, so I hate massage too. It ends up making me so tense my muscles hurt while being massaged so we end up in a weird loop of

'you're so tense, you need to relax' (paraphrasing here, no one has been that direct!)
'I'm trying, but it hurts!'
'Well it hurts because you're so tense'
'Yes, but it hurts before I'm tense too, it just hurts, sorry!'

So now I avoid massage and marvel at those who love it :)

This, and my terrible experiences with waxing (to also bring it back there) was a nightmare when I was training to be a hairdresser (which is also failed in due to a fear of cutting hair) because beauty therapy was all part of the course. I was also ill that year with colds a lot so ended up being the model more often than not. I had waxing, massage, facials, manicures etc etc all the time. For most people that would be heaven. For me, close to hell lol

« Reply #18 on: 07 Jul 16 / 08:40 AM »
I hate being massaged too, I hate having beauty treatments, having my hair cut - anything that means somebody messing around with me! Hence the reason I try to do everything for myself at home - I even mentioned that I'd like to learn to tattoo myself the other day but my boyfriend said he draws the line at that and doesn't think it's a good idea hahah!

A candle burner sounds like a great idea for keeping wax warm, thanks for the tip!

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #19 on: 07 Jul 16 / 07:26 PM »
Massage is definitely not for everyone, and there are days I don't like it too, but I think that's with any job, there are good days and bad days. In school we practiced on each other every single day and there is such a thing as too much massage, I had quite a few classmates get sick from it. But yea I love wax warmers, I have a few of them, I use some for wax, but I also have one at work and I put my tea on it so that it stays hot throughout the day.

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories