Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: How to make up!  (Read 1804 times)  Share 

• Current Colour: medium-dark brown (natural)
How to make up!
« on: 08 Aug 15 / 09:22 PM »
OK, that might sound like a really stupid question, but I had a very strict upbringing, I wasn't even allowed to LOOK at the make up when I was growing up. I have NO idea what I'm doing with make up.

I don't know what to do with lip and eyeliner, what the different brushes are for. I'm 30 at the end of the month!  :o Does anybody have tips on where to start please?  :)

I have included one from today, I managed nice bright eyeshadow, and got some lippy and mascara on as well, but foundation, blusher? Not a clue!

• Janine Basil Pop Accessories
Re: How to make up!
« Reply #1 on: 08 Aug 15 / 11:41 PM »
Google some YouTube videos! I don't really watch them, so I don't have a suggestion, but I know there's loads out there. Once you start your get more recs from YouTube and you're bound to find some you like.

I can't be bothered with foundation and blusher myself!
New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules*
Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

• Current Colour: Silverish
« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 15 / 02:44 AM »
I like Michelle Phan, but I am not sure she is particularly 'beginner friendly'

Foundation is for evening out your skin tone, concealer is for covering blemishes, and powder sets the make up.
Blusher is for adding colour and contouring slightly
Eyeliner defines the lashline and can be used to alter the shape of the eye.
Eyeshadow can contour the eye, so you can make them appear bigger/smaller/more even (most peoples aren't) Bright/light colours and sparkle emphasise and bring things forward, dark/matt colours do the opposite
lip liner stops lipstick from bleeding and again helps to contour the lip slightly

Brushes and applicators are very much personal choice, they help to blend everything so you don't have harsh lines. You won't need many, you can get away with just a lip brush, eyebrow comb, big powder brush, blusher brush, and a flat edged and round edged brush for eyeshadows.

It helps if you have an idea of what you want to achieve with make up, so look at your face in the mirror and see what you like and want to emphasise, or don't like and want to minimise/correct.
Then practise, practise, practise. Some techniques, like applying liquid eyeliner, are really tricky at first, but become second nature with practice.

Neutral colours are more forgiving, eg a pinky lipstick badly applied will never look as bad as a bright red one. So try and pick shades that are similar to your natural colouring to begin with.
Blend everything, and remember that your base (concealer, foundation, blush, bronzer etc) should never be visible. If you can see it, it is either badly applied or the wrong colour.
Awarded "Dye-namite Poster" status by Forum Admin & Moderators.
This member's knowledge and help on the forum is recognised as to DYE for!

• Senior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: Purple and blue fade.
« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 15 / 06:48 AM »
Great information as always from Janineb and Wicked Pixie. I'll add that Pinterest has a lot of tutorials and guides on figuring out your skin tone and eye and face shape, and how to apply makeup to best emphasize (or de-emphasize) your features. Also guides on what makeup brushes do what! And more...so, so much more. It's easy to get overwhelmed so just start simply by identifying which colors looks best on you. You can find a guide that helps you identify your coloring, and/ or you could buy some cheap makeup and see what is the most flattering. Make sure your concealer and foundation match your skin as closely as possible. That's one area you shouldn't skimp on. This might help:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/makeup-tips/_/makeup-tips-tricks-skin-tone-categories

:)
So long and thanks for all the fish.

« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 15 / 09:07 AM »
Thank you all so much! :) It really is just overwhelming, there's so much out there! And so much to learn!  *stars*

• Janine Basil Pop Accessories
« Reply #5 on: 09 Aug 15 / 10:25 AM »
The main thing, don't panic and start very small :)

« Reply #6 on: 09 Aug 15 / 04:14 PM »
When i worked as a make up artist, I would get a lot of clients who didn't usually wear make up but wanted to look special for a wedding or photo shoot. Instead of going for the full works, I would do a really simple make up, just concealer, tinted moisturiser (instead of heavy foundation) a light translucent powder (important to stop faces looking shiny in photos) neutral matte eyeshadow and tinted lip gloss. They loved it because they felt they still looked like themselves, but better lol.
For everyday, just a brush of powder, some well applied mascara and a tinted lip gloss can really make a difference. Keeping your brows well shaped really helps to make your face look 'pulled together' too.

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 15 / 06:32 PM »
Yeah, I need to do something about my eyebrows, they look like two unruly caterpillars at the moment!  :laugh:

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 15 / 07:05 PM »
Get a pair of good tweezers and a magnifying mirror, comb all the hairs upwards and just tidy the stray hairs under the brow. Do a few from each side at a time and check that they are even as you go. Pull the skin taught with your fingers and pull out one hair at a time

• Current Colour: Adore Mahogany over box brown, with oilslick peekaboo!
« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 15 / 11:25 AM »
I always use clear gel mascara to brush my eyebrows into place to stop them looking like caterpillars! If you want them shaped it might be worth getting them threaded the first time so that you can just maintain the shape - but you'd need to find somewhere that won't make them really thin (I usually try to go to Asian (Indian/Pakistani etc) places as I find they are more likely to stick to a classic shape than the beauty salon type places). Or you could ask a friend with good eyebrows to help you out!
Other than that for every day I think a cream blusher that you can rub on with your fingers is the easiest to apply, and some of them can be used on your lips too so it stops you having to worry about them clashing! then a mascara, the clear gel mascara for your eyebrows and a translucent pressed powder (apply it with any big brush- not the little pad you sometimes get in the packet) is a great and easy start.
The best advice I can give you is play! Sit at home and try stuff out, watch tutorials and have a go - if it turns out wrong wash it off! I play with make up for fun all the time and it can only make you better at applying it! Most of all, have fun!

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories