Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: Nourishing High Street Skin Care?  (Read 1422 times)  Share 

• Dye-Hard
  • Current Colour: Ash Blonde
Nourishing High Street Skin Care?
« on: 24 May 15 / 07:24 PM »
So I'm still massively obsessed with skin care and moisturisers to make sure I do what I can now, before my skin shows TOO many signs of aging.  ;D

I find it frustrating that all High Street brands of facial moisturisers don't seem to contain ingredients that nourish the skin.  Instead, they all seem to promise so many artificial and temporary results - such as reducing the appearance of wrinkles, fading spots, brightening the complexion, etc. - so that you buy their product.  It seems like, in the long-term, these moisturisers won't actually deliver the right nutrients to the skin.  I'm sure they have some good ingredients, but all the "promises" make me sceptical as to which ones really do the skin good in the long run.

So I've been annoyed with places like Boots and Superdrug, where I can't seem to find any natural products.  There are one or two that might come close, such as one of the Nivea moisturisers, but even that, I think, has a silicone or two in it!

For a daily moisturiser, a few months back, I discovered the Dr Organics range from Holland & Barrett, which (I haven't checked 100%, but I think) don't have loads of ingredients to give a quick or temporary fix; I would think they're natural and, with long-term usage, I would hope do some good.  That range is quite affordable, and I've felt safer using that over High Street brands lately.  And I always, always follow with an SPF.

I also use various natural oils at night, such as olive, avocado, almond, argan, frankincense, macadamia, and probably a few others. ...

Anyway, I just wanted to find out if anyone here has found any natural and nourishing moisturisers from the "convenient" drugstores, because maybe I haven't looked hard enough!  Thanks :)
Hair reminds you just how much "patience is a virtue"...

Oh yeah, so these two men walk into a bar: you think one of them would have ducked. ::)

• Current Colour: Silverish
Re: Nourishing High Street Skin Care?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 15 / 07:54 PM »
I am of the same mind, the claims made by cosmetic companies are ridiculous.
All I use on my face is coconut oil and argan oil, and sunblock if I go out in the sun. That is it, no fancy products.
I don't over cleanse, so I don't need to compensate with moisturisers. Often I just use water to wash my face (I don't usually wear make up) or a simple soap (shock horror!) if my skin is greasy, usually Dove. I use natural products such as nutmeg to exfoliate and that is it.
The best ways to avoid the signs of aging are to protect the skin from the elements (sun and wind) and keep it moisturised. Avoiding harsh cleansers and toners (toners are truly evil lol) that strip the skin of natural oils prevents the vicious circle of needing to replace the missing oils, and then use harsh products to get them off again.
My other big tip for looking young for as long as possible is to treat your neck and hands the same as your face. Often you see older women with perfect faces but the backs of their hands and saggy wrinkly necks give their true age away. I always add sunblock to these areas and use argan oil on them.
Awarded "Dye-namite Poster" status by Forum Admin & Moderators.
This member's knowledge and help on the forum is recognised as to DYE for!

Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

• Janine Basil Pop Accessories
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 15 / 08:42 PM »
Honestly, I think it's more about genes than anything else.

I've never used moisturiser of any kind, apart from a cheapy genetic boots one about 3 times a year if my skin is feeling dry. I don't exfoliate. I have no skin routine to speak of.

My mum does it all. She used to be all about natural stuff, olive oil etc. now she's all about expensive brands.

My skin looks pretty much the same way as my mums did when she was my age. Mine probably a bit better because she used to sunbath and I don't. Otherwise, our history is the same, no smoking, hardly any drinking.
New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules*

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 15 / 08:56 PM »
Genetics definitely play a part.
I have two sisters though, one 3 years younger, one a year older. They both look a lot older than me. My older sister has very dark skin which should mean her skin is better protected (myself and my younger sister are pale)but despite having spent a small fortune on lotions and procedures her whole adult life she looks her age now (45)
My younger sister (40) actually looks older than her years, despite using middle priced cosmetics (Clinique etc) she has wrinkles now.
At 44 I generally get taken for a decade younger, 32 on a good day. No wrinkles yet, I can see some loss of elasticity, but nothing is actually sagging. I am also fatter than both my sisters, which i think makes a difference too. My younger sister looked years younger when she was pregnant and put a small amount of weight on.

• Jump on a carousel and don't let go.
    • kimberlee123.deviantart.com
  • Current Colour: Dark pink-red ... Barbie's blood?
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 15 / 07:57 PM »
Honestly, I think it's more about genes than anything else.

I've never used moisturiser of any kind, apart from a cheapy genetic boots one about 3 times a year if my skin is feeling dry. I don't exfoliate. I have no skin routine to speak of.

My mum does it all. She used to be all about natural stuff, olive oil etc. now she's all about expensive brands.

My skin looks pretty much the same way as my mums did when she was my age. Mine probably a bit better because she used to sunbath and I don't. Otherwise, our history is the same, no smoking, hardly any drinking.

Genes also play a part in what products you use or avoid.  Someone who has serious acne problems will need something to help dry up the excess oil their skin produces, whereas someone with dry, normal or combination skin will need to avoid drying products.

It's hard to recommend, because everyone's skin is different.

If you're looking to add moisture to your skin, a hydrator (as opposed to a moisturiser) will be a better product.  Hydrators add moisture to the skin, moisturisers seal it in--so if you slather a moisturiser on already dry skin, it's going to have the same effect as putting silicone on dry hair.  It temporarily looks better, but the problem is still the same underneath.

Tricky thing is that not all hydrators are labelled as hydrators (so frustrating!).  Essentially, you're looking for lotions that contain humectant ingredients.  Some popular humectants used in lotions are:

Glycerin
Lanolin
Squaline
Petrolatum
Olive Oil
Sesame Oil

Some super-strong ones are:

Lactate
Urea
Alpha Hydroxyl Acids

Check your lotions to see if one or more of these ingredients are near the top of the list, and you should have something that works well.  Once you have a good humectant lotion, you want to seal it in with a moisturiser.  There are two different formulas of moisturisers, which again are formulated for different skin types.  There are "water in oil" moisturisers, which are mostly water that evaporates and are generally thinner and are better on combination and oily skin.  There are also "oil in water" moisturisers, which are mainly oils (think shea butter based moisturisers; lots of oil in that), and they tend to be a lot thicker and creamier.  These are designed for normal to dry skin.

Hydrators tend to be a bit more gel-like and do not contain oils at all.

Brand-wise, there's loads of hydrators and moisturisers.  They range in everything from Vaseline to Clinique.  If you want to try some basic hydrators and see if they work, you can probably find the below in Asda or Tesco:

Vaseline Intensive Rescue Repairing Moisture
Simple Vitamin Rich Day Cream
L'Oreal Paris Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

I think if you start using a hydrator as your base and then top with a moisturiser, you'll find your skin feels more nourished and better hydrated than it did previously

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 15 / 07:16 AM »
Brilliant discussion, thanks gals!  What great advice... much appreciated.

Definitely genetics will play a huge part, but I still don't want to sit back and not do all I can because my skin may have a specific destiny.  I, too, can see a difference between my younger sister by 5 years and myself - though I used to use tanning beds years ago (of course, that was stupid!), my sister still bakes her skin in the sun and refuses to wear any sunblock.

Yes, Wicked Pixie, I have also learnt to treat my neck area the same as my facial skin - always sunblock and whip a scarf around my neck in the sun, and I also try to cover the backs of my hands with sunblock whilst outdoors.  I think I was born with ugly and veiny hands, ha ha, so there's only so much I can do to keep them in good condition.

Intemp, excellent information!  I've been using a serum-like moisturiser when my skin is still moist, directly out of the shower - I'll have to check the ingredients, but I think that works quite well.  Just this week, got my delivery of Oz Naturals too, a little expensive, but I'll give that a try for a while.  Always follow serum with a moisturiser and SPF.  I must go check if my moisturisers can be considered a humectant - great advice.

One thing I've been doing for over a year now, which I think I read about, is using a toner or some sort of cleaning agent after showering, to clear away any "debris" that may be in our water.  Dunno, I think it helps.  Usually just wipe my entire face with an eye-makeup remover (which I think is gentler than my pore-unblocking toner) or a spritz of Avène water which is lasting forever and I'm trying to use up!

Must start to understand the cycle of removing natural oils then having to replace them, thanks for the reminder, Wicked Pixie.  I tend to think my pores start to become more prominent if I don't cleanse well enough, but that may be because I do wear makeup/foundation for work.  I've got a little bottle of sodium bicarb in the shower, which I mix with facial soap to exfoliate, seems to work quite well to deep-clean.

Thanks for the advice and loads more information!

Oh yeah, so these two men walk into a bar: you think one of them would have ducked. ::)

« Reply #6 on: 26 May 15 / 07:08 PM »
Good circulation is also crucial for good skin. Massaging the face lightly with the fingertips when applying moisturising products is a great tip for preventing aging. (Be super gentle around the eye area) Hanging upside down is good too.
When applying any product use upwards motions, and avoid dragging the skin. a professional facial feels so good because even make up removal involves a mini massage.
Facial exercises can also make a difference to aging skin, the muscles in the face are unique as they are the only muscles we have that are only attached to skin (rather than bones) so keeping them in good shape helps to keep a more youthful look. (You will look a complete idiot whilst doing them though, definitely something to do when alone lol)
I would skip the toners entirely. The whole cleanse/tone/moisturise routine is a marketing ploy rather like lather rinse repeat. The purpose of toner is to remove any last trace of the cleanser, just plain water on a cotton pad will do that. If your cleanser is leaving your skin greasy it isn't doing it's job. Most toners are astringent and damage the skin long term by stripping oils and dehydrating it.
Again it is finding that balance. Just like over shampooing causes greasy hair that is also dry, the same thing can happen to skin.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 15 / 09:39 PM »
Wicked Pixie, I've read about those tips as well, thanks for the reminders!  I wish I could spend some time upside-down everyday, ha ha.  I've actually tied my fringe back tight on a few occasions to wear overnight a few years ago to create a facelift effect - but it was not too comfortable.

I do admit, and it's been a year nearly to the day, that I switched from cigarettes to electronic, and I truly notice a lot less sag in my face - not that there was loads, but I was starting to notice it.  And then, I learnt do massage upwards to sort of 'undo' the gravity of the day, which seemed to really help.  I still do that on occasion, but I'm pleased to say there's not as much sag as I was starting to see.

I was curious to ask you - if you use oils as a moisturiser (and I think I've probably asked a similar question here before), would you be concerned about your skin hitting the sunlight and burning ever-so-slightly more than it would if it hadn't had oil (of course, one of the sun-worshipping tips of the 80s)?  I use oils regularly, especially underneath the eyes to try to give it as much moisture as it wants, but I want to be a bit more careful in the summertime when there's more sun around so the oil doesn't create a sun-attracting effect.  Do you use SPF over oil, and do you think that's sufficient?

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 15 / 09:47 PM »
I rarely go out in the sun if I can avoid it lol (I am vampire pale) and never sunbathe, ever.
I put SPF over whatever oil I am using, coconut oil also has natural sun protection in it, another reason I use it on my face a lot.
Good for you for kicking the cigarettes. I stopped smoking when i turned 40 at my daughters insistence, and I have lost all the fine lines I was developing around my mouth. It was those lines that helped me to stick with  it, i kept thinking of wrinkly old ladies with bleeding lipstick :D

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 15 / 06:57 AM »
Thanks for all the great tips and advice.  I stopped sunbathing years ago and have since made a complete turn-around.  But as I do walk a fair amount, I'm always equipped with scarves, hats, and portable sunblocks.  And of course (thanks for the reminder), I can keep using coconut oil!

Well done to you too for quitting.  I was pleasantly amazed at the difference it seemed to make in my skin within just a few weeks after I lit my last cigarette.  That is clearly a big enough incentive to stay away!

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories