Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: This acne is getting me down  (Read 1914 times)  Share 

• Dye-Hard
This acne is getting me down
« on: 22 Jun 14 / 02:19 PM »
I started taking birth control pills over a year ago now. Ever since taking them, I suddenly developed spots which is odd for me since I've never had acne problems, I was never a spotty teenager. I only had the odd spot every now and then. But now, it's constant and breakouts vary through the month and they were only on my chin. The only thing I can think of is that it's the pill doing this but didn't want to switch brands since I didn't want to risk worse side effects from another pill. I was happy on the brand I'm taking since spots is the only side effects I got from them.

I could deal with just spots but now I'm breaking out in these horrible, painful, cyst-like spots that are leaving small scars on my face even though I'm not touching or picking them. After a couple of days after a breakout, they turn dry (like a patch of dry skin) and start to go down. The thing is though, these cyst-like spots only started a week after taking Biotin which is known for causing cystic acne, but it's been over a month since stopping Biotin and I'm still getting these spots. They now appear on my cheeks.

So, I'm not sure what to do. Do any of you ladies know something I can take/do to control the spots? Could the Biotin still be in my system to cause this? Or am I going to have to switch BCP?

Sorry for rambling!

• Dye-Hard
    • Tumblr
  • Current Colour: Bleach blonde
Re: This acne is getting me down
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 14 / 02:41 PM »
Which pill are you on?
I was put on the mini-pill (Cerazette) last year and I had exactly the same problems as you, I went back to my doctor and she put me on a combined pill (Femodette) which mostly cleared up my skin, now I just have the occasional spot on my pill free week but nothing compared to the huge, painful cystic ones I had on Cerazette.

I'm an animal just like you..

• Junior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: La Riche Directions Plum
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 14 / 02:47 PM »
I'd check your diet and habits, those are more important when trying to ge trid of cyst-like spots and regular spots.
Fresh vegetables and fruit, lots of water, some exercise and good sleeping habits are the basics! Also a good skin care routine is really important to keep you face clear of them.

If it's been a month since the last biotin intake i wouldn't blame it.

Keep in mind that the spots that appear on your chin have a lot to do with stress and hormonal issues, also problems with your stomach (which could be totally because of the birth control pills) but if they're showing up on your cheeks it means you may have a problem with your respiratory system. If you smoke and/or have allergies then that's the main problem. If neither of these is the issue, donít let your body overheat, eat more cooling foods, cut down on sugar and get more fresh air. Avoid foods that make the body acidic (meat, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, sugar) and add more alkalizing foods like green veggies and wheatgrass juice. Could also be because of a "dirty" cellphone or pillowcase!!

Skin care freak came to the rescue, hope it helps!!

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 14 / 03:47 PM »
I'm on Microgynon 30.

I have actually been having allergy problems since the summer started. Sneezing a lot, blocked up nose etc. I don't smoke and don't drink alcohol that often. I do slack on drinking water, I drink A LOT of tea throughout the day. I eat better now than I ever have, I eat more fruit but I do tend to shy away from veg like cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts etc. I eat mostly bell peppers, mushrooms, peas, green beans, sweet corn... basically anything that doesn't have that cabbagey-sprouty taste. :P

Thanks for the help so far!

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 14 / 04:05 PM »
Try flavoured water! I do it all the time, i'm kind of a tea addict too hahah
Just add cucumber and lime to your water, apples an cinnamon, strawberry and basil, raspberry and pineapple, orange and vanilla beam, blackberries and sage, cucumber and lemongrass, ... It's great if you're not that fan of water itself, it's really refreshing and also gives you a vitamin boost! Helps a lot too if you're trying to lose weight or doing strong exercise routines :D

Your diet seems really healthy so def check your pillowcase and cellphone as those may be causing most of the problems, i know they did cause mine when i had them. About the allergy you can't do much if it's seasonal, but if it's not you can totally get that solved!

As for birth control pills to tame those unwelcomed visitors on your chin i'd talk to your doctor! I always had horrible acne because none of the pills was strong enough for me so maybe he could find a better one for you?

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jun 14 / 04:18 PM »
I'll definitely try the fruit and water. I do eat other things, I wouldn't say I'm very healthy but after losing weight, I eat a lot better than I used to. I do eat all the veg I just listed but it'll be with rice or something for dinner and not always everyday. For breakfast I'll usually have plain cereal, toast or a bagel, then I sometimes have fruit for lunch and a snack at night.

I have had the same pillowcases for years, but they are washed regularly. Should I just buy new ones? And I hardly ever use my phone for calls, I text 90% of the time so it's never by my face.

I will talk to my doctor about the pill but I really don't want to switch pills since I'm doing well on Microgynon 30 and am scared that another pill will give me horrible side effects. But I guess if the acne doesn't clear up, I'll have to do it. :/

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 14 / 06:54 PM »
I'll definitely try the fruit and water. I do eat other things, I wouldn't say I'm very healthy but after losing weight, I eat a lot better than I used to. I do eat all the veg I just listed but it'll be with rice or something for dinner and not always everyday. For breakfast I'll usually have plain cereal, toast or a bagel, then I sometimes have fruit for lunch and a snack at night.

I have had the same pillowcases for years, but they are washed regularly. Should I just buy new ones? And I hardly ever use my phone for calls, I text 90% of the time so it's never by my face.

I will talk to my doctor about the pill but I really don't want to switch pills since I'm doing well on Microgynon 30 and am scared that another pill will give me horrible side effects. But I guess if the acne doesn't clear up, I'll have to do it. :/

But it's healthy enough to not be the cause of your acne! You don't have to be as strict as i am with food (i'm a bit of a control freak tbh), as long as you're eating fresh food once or twice a day it's perfectly fine :)

Ah!! If you've had them for years i'd suggest you buy new pillowcases, as the amount of acarus in those ones may be crazy right now and could be the responsibles of your sudden allergy too. Maybe even a new pillow? I change mine every 6 months because i have a really severe acarus allergy so i change everything quite often just to be sure.

Is it spelt like that? acarus? you know....those evil creatures that live in the dust and are really small but can kill you anyway if you're allergic to them hahah :P

• Dye-Hard
    • Tumblr
  • Current Colour: Bleach blonde
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 14 / 07:48 PM »
I noticed since I stopped eating meat (I still eat fish) that my skin has improved a lot, dunno if that's just a coincidence as I'm no longer sharing a bed with my boyfriend.

I'd definitely recommend possibly discussing changing pill, when I was on Microgynon I had perfect skin, but I suppose every pill works differently with different women. There's so many out there though I'm sure you'll be able to find another that you agree with!
I'm an animal just like you..

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 14 / 08:19 PM »
Ewww, I'm definitely getting new cases! My actual pillows are fairly new.

My problem is that I often stay with my boyfriend and his family and if I switch pills and it gives me bad side effects like irregular bleeding, spotting, etc... I don't really wanna be dealing with that stuff while I'm there, ya know? But, yeah... I'll still consider it if I run out of options.

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 14 / 10:18 AM »
Are you having milk in your tea or herbal tea? Dairy really messes with your skin, mine is so much better if I remove it entirely.  As Nerdiemonster says, water will help a lot. If I have a large bottle and a straw I find it really easy to drink lots and lots.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 14 / 04:24 PM »
Yeah, I have semi skimmed milk in my tea. I've been drinking tea since I was 13 though and like I said I've never been someone to have acne until a year ago, so would it start messing with my skin now?

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 14 / 08:26 PM »
It's possible, it did with me, also your body doesn't process things as well as you get older sometimes. It might be worth trying just to see.  Also worth considering the antibiotic/hormone levels in cow's milk are probably very different nowadays with the increase in intensive farming.

• Dye-Hard
  • Current Colour: pastel pink, lilac, white, silver
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 14 / 10:16 PM »
If diet changes don't help and you're afraid to switch to another BC (I don't blame you!!) I would try using Repechage Hydra Medic products. I always had terrrrible acne ever since I was in the 4th grade when I started my period, and it didn't go away until I was 20 when I found Repechage. It is expensive, but if you can find a travel sized kit online or from a stylist/salon to order it for you directly from the company, I think they're maybe $50. Or if anything try out 1 or 2 products from the line. The Sea Mud Perfecting Mask is a dream and their spot treatment is too. Those 2 things I think helped the most I think, though the other products in the line are wonderful too. I did a review on it here:
http://www.hairdyeforum.com/index.php?topic=13277.0
Always remember to consider what your hair is going to feel like after processing it BEFORE you do it! Test strands, treatments/oils are important when it comes to hair, but the most important thing is patience!

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #13 on: 01 Jul 14 / 04:48 PM »
Thank you. Is it available in the UK?

I was looking up remedies for cystic acne and saw a few people swear by a baking powder face mask. Has anyone else tried this? I kind of feel like it's not something you should put on your face...

edit: I've been using ice cubes on face, twice a day for the last three days and it really seems to be helping. I had 2 cysts on my face and they've gone down loads.

• Junior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: pale pink
« Reply #14 on: 06 Jul 14 / 12:00 AM »
Has your doc referred you to a dermatologist? Because they can give you stuff like Quinaderm or Zineryt to help calm it down a bit.

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories