Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: Facial Cleansing  (Read 2194 times)  Share 

• Dye-Hard
Facial Cleansing
« on: 17 Jun 14 / 10:42 PM »
I wonder your thoughts on what is "too much" and "not enough" when it comes to cleansing the face.  I don't mean in terms of frequency, but instead, how you can tell when your face is clean enough but not stripped of its natural oils.

I cleanse my face about twice a day, once in the shower in the morning, and once in the evening normally without tap water.  So if, after I've washed my face and still feel any oil at all before applying moisturiser, I wash or cleanse again.  My face never feels overly-scrubbed or too dry, but I wonder if I'm washing too much!

Of course, I don't want to strip natural oils, but my thoughts are, if any oils are present, they'll build up and clog pores - and my pores are certainly not invisible!  And especially working in a 'big city' like London, I can just imagine how much gunk and pollution flies through the air and lands on the skin.

So how do you know your face is clean enough, or am I overthinking? lol
Hair reminds you just how much "patience is a virtue"...

Oh yeah, so these two men walk into a bar: you think one of them would have ducked. ::)

• Senior Hair Addict
  • Hair Growing Mission
  • Current Colour: Black - Oops!
Re: Facial Cleansing
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 14 / 10:54 AM »
I just do it once a day and until the cotton wool pads are clean and not looking gross, my skin never looks dry or too greasy after that and that's just with a cheapy boots 'illumination cleanser'. I work in an office inside a construction factory so there's cement dust EVERYWHERE, like you'd be asked if you were insane if you showed up in anything white so it takes a few attempts haha
Hair Growth
Current: 18" 07/2014 Target: 30" 10/2015

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 14 / 05:12 PM »
I've read one should wash face twice a day, but I usually wash once as well. I was thinking of trying out some cleansing balms like the one by clinique called take the day off, I've seen a cheaper alternative at boots, seems a bit more cleansing than regular face wash, I dunno

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 14 / 05:53 AM »
Thanks, gals... I'm going to look into both the Boots cleansers you mentioned (for my morning, before-work Boots therapy :D), sound like they might be quite effective!

Oh yeah, so these two men walk into a bar: you think one of them would have ducked. ::)

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 14 / 02:21 PM »
I wash my face everyday with Simple's vital vitamin foam cleanser. Gets all my make-up off, leaves my face soo smooth and soft and it lasts ages. I've had mine for nearly 2 months and have only used about a quarter of the bottle.

• Junior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: La Riche Directions Plum
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 14 / 02:32 PM »
Twice a day is best, but using different cleansers.
Using a mild one in the morning and a slightly "stronger" one at night with some a soft exfoliator works magic. Or just regular exfoliating twice a week.

And i know because i run a blog on asian cosmetics (mainly skin care) and i've had porcelain skin since i started to take care of my face with korean skin care.

You can't see the pores, no uninvited "friends" on my face, always smooth, shiny and fresh! Hehe~
I'd spam you with my blog, but i'll only share the link if you're really interested :)

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 14 / 12:40 PM »
Nerdiemonster, I'm intrigued to learn more!

I just found a Pinterest "pin" on OCM: Oil-Cleansing Method.  I tried it this morning, and it seemed to work!  I'm going to start using it perhaps once a day instead of soap or liquid cleansers/toners.  (Of course, oils do dissolve makeup quite well, but I think I'll still need my eye makeup remover!)

Wanted to ask your opinions though... if I use oils to cleanse, then of course wipe off any excess, then moisturise and use my sunblock :D, do you think there would be residual oils that would attract sun and burn the skin anyway?  Reason this comes to mind is because, way back, when frying your skin to a nice bronze colour was 'cool', you'd coat yourself in oil to bake in the sun.

Do you think using oils for cleansing purposes would not be a great idea in the morning, before possible exposure to sun?  Or would sunblock still do its job?

Sorry, I'm so obsessive about skincare lately!

• Junior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: La Riche Directions Plum
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 14 / 01:31 PM »

I just found a Pinterest "pin" on OCM: Oil-Cleansing Method.  I tried it this morning, and it seemed to work!  I'm going to start using it perhaps once a day instead of soap or liquid cleansers/toners.  (Of course, oils do dissolve makeup quite well, but I think I'll still need my eye makeup remover!)

Wanted to ask your opinions though... if I use oils to cleanse, then of course wipe off any excess, then moisturise and use my sunblock :D, do you think there would be residual oils that would attract sun and burn the skin anyway?  Reason this comes to mind is because, way back, when frying your skin to a nice bronze colour was 'cool', you'd coat yourself in oil to bake in the sun.

Do you think using oils for cleansing purposes would not be a great idea in the morning, before possible exposure to sun?  Or would sunblock still do its job?

Sorry, I'm so obsessive about skincare lately!

Oil cleasing should totes be done at night, but i'd rather use special oils meant for cleansing rather than olive/almont/coconut/whatevs just to avoid stickiness or clogging your pores because they're usually reallt thick (that'd make them to open up and all that fuzz).

If you're in for oil cleansing i'd suggest Shu Uemura!!! They're meant to remove make up and most people suggest you use a regular foam cleanser after them but truth is you could totally skip double cleansing if you were not wearing make up at all, or just re apply the oil :)

I made a really quick review on one of their oils for my blog (great for cleansing, not that great to remove mascara hahah), i usually write these really late at night whilst fighting not to fall asleep on the laptop so if my english is awkward i'm really sorry  :-X
http://beauty2bits.com/2014/05/05/shu-uemura-ultimate-8-cleansing-oil/

• Dye-Hard
    • Tumblr
  • Current Colour: Henna red
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jun 14 / 02:44 PM »
I wash my face twice a day, in the morning I use Freederm and in the evening I usually take my make up off using a Simple face wipe then I use Ultrabland from Lush (which is essentially oil cleansing) to remove any residue that the wipe missed.

I don't like to wash my face till the point that it's tight/squeaky clean, but I think that's just because my skin can be quite sensitive if I over wash.
I'm an animal just like you..

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #9 on: 22 Jun 14 / 03:25 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for sharing your routines!  Yes, of course, marthamagic; ... sensitive skin shouldn't be washed to the point of squeaky clean.  When my skin is irritated in any way, I also don't scrub it too much!

Nerdiemonster, I've heard of that cosmetic line before, and it sounds fabulous.  Thanks for the recommendation - I want it, lol.  I will definitely be looking into something from Shu Uemura at my next payday, and that cleansing oil might be something to start with. :)

• Jump on a carousel and don't let go.
    • kimberlee123.deviantart.com
  • Current Colour: Dark pink-red ... Barbie's blood?
« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 14 / 05:05 PM »

We actually have a thread with people's experiences with the oil cleansing method here, if you're interested :).

As far as my facial cleansing routine goes ... um, I don't really have one.  That sounds awful, I know, but basically, I just give it a quick wash when I get home from work or an extra one if it feels greasy (this muggy weather is not nice, makes my forehead feel slick), and exfoliate when it feels a bit rough, and that seems to work pretty well for me.
Awarded "Dye-namite Poster" status by Forum Admin & Moderators.
This member's knowledge and help on the forum is recognised as to DYE for!

Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 14 / 06:55 PM »
Oooooh very interested, thanks!  Hadn't realised it was discussed previously here (but by now you probably have revisited all the topics after cleaning up the forum). :)

I'm certainly going to give it a go, the OCM.  I was so pleased after reorganising my cosmetics stash yesterday to find different oils I forgot I had: castor, almond, tea tree, macadamia nut, avocado, and rose... of course along with olive and coconut!

Thanks so much for the extra information, Intemp... really interesting to read others' experiences. :D

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 14 / 08:36 PM »
As far as my facial cleansing routine goes ... um, I don't really have one.  That sounds awful, I know, but basically, I just give it a quick wash when I get home from work or an extra one if it feels greasy (this muggy weather is not nice, makes my forehead feel slick), and exfoliate when it feels a bit rough, and that seems to work pretty well for me.

I believe we know best what our skin needs and how it feels. Majority of regular people, like at work at work or sth, will probably label me a dirty, oily mess  because I have some sort of oil in my hair every weeekend, and don'tt wash my hair, just run a co-wash rarely, but it's not out of laziness, but genuine wisdom and awareness

• Junior Hair Addict
    • Lined in chalk (Tumblr)
  • Current Colour: Adore Indigo Blue + SFX Blue Mayhem + Adore African Violet streaks
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 14 / 08:43 PM »
I wash my face twice a day with honey.
Nothing stronger, EVER.
And I've never experienced greasy skin ever since, it even got rid of my acne.
Sorry about my bad english :(

• Dye-Hard
Re: Facial Cleansing (using oils in the sun)
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 14 / 07:25 PM »

Oil cleasing should totes be done at night ... .

Thanks again for all your comments!  This one from Nerdiemonster makes me think about hair... as it's advised to sun-protect the hair (which I don't do all the time except when I wear my sun cap!).

What about when you're wearing leave-in conditioners or in fact straight oil, like coconut oil, in the hair when you're outdoors.  That's probably not such a great idea either, is it, as it would probably create a bit of sizzling too?

P.S.  Then again, applying a bit of heat with oil helps it absorb into the hair, doesn't it?  So now I'm not sure. :D

• Junior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: pale pink
« Reply #15 on: 06 Jul 14 / 12:03 AM »
I wash my face twice a day with honey.
Nothing stronger, EVER.
And I've never experienced greasy skin ever since, it even got rid of my acne.

Honey? Do you just apply it and rinse off? Any honey or medical grade honey?

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #16 on: 18 Aug 14 / 09:24 AM »
I wash twice a day. Evening is oil pre wash (body shop chamomile) then a hot cloth cleanse with a creamy cleaner. I use either soap & glory peaches and clean or boots botanicals brightening cleanser. They both have ahas. Morning I just use whichever in the shower after my workout.
You really should wash twice a day, at night for makeup and dirt from the day and in the morning to remove any night treatments and sweat and dead skin cells.

• Junior Hair Addict
  • An original surprise <3
  • Current Colour: Crazy Color - Pinkissimo
« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 16 / 11:12 PM »
Well, what I try to do is - use Johnstones cleansing facial wipe in the morning, a small bit of toner and moisturiser before applying my makeup.
I use another Johnstones cleansing facial wipe at night, to remove makeup and impurities. Then I use a product given to me (by mother in law.) It's called Avon clearskin Profressional Liquid Extraction Strip. Basically you apply it and wait until it dries before peeling off. I actually think it's a really good product. Then once again, I moisturise. I must say that I use the cheapest moistuiser Tesco has. As SOMETIMES I use anti wrinkle cream (ANEW CLINICAL Line Correction Treatment) just to give my skin a bit off an oomph. Also, after I shower (before toning and moisturing) I use Avon Clearskin blemish clearing 3 in 1 cleanser, scrub & mask. If I am not wearing makeup, at about midday I use Johnstones cleansing facial wipe just to keep it clear(-ish). If I have a spot, I stick toothpaste on it overnight :)

• Current Colour: Adore Mahogany over box brown, with oilslick peekaboo!
« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 16 / 11:22 AM »
You ladies make me feel terrible, you're all so nice to your skin! I wash mine in the morning with a biore face wash or a face wipe, maybe exfolliate once a week or so but I'm such a terror for sleeping in makeup, I only wear it once a week these days but I never wash it off before bed! I blame growing up in the 90's - it's all Courtney Love's fault!
New Here?  Please read the Forum Rules before posting. *rules*
Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

• OurMall App
  • Current Colour: black
« Reply #19 on: 26 Jul 17 / 08:40 AM »

I cleanse my face about twice a day, once in the shower in the morning, and once in the evening. :)

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories