Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: Sunblocking for the Summer  (Read 4266 times)  Share 

• Dye-Hard
  • Current Colour: Ash Blonde
Sunblocking for the Summer
« on: 19 May 14 / 06:01 PM »
As summer approaches for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, I've found two products that I hadn't seen before, but I've recently purchased them, tried them, and recommend them both.

1) Eucerin Sun Fluid SPF 50 Mattifying

I haven't yet tried it under foundation, but I haven't a doubt that it can provide an ideal base for makeup with ultimate sun protection.  It seems to soak right into the skin, then disappears, and it doesn't seem to sting my eyes either (as most products do!).  It will be a great alternative for me personally this summer to the kids' sunblocks in SPF 50 that I've been using - I'll still use those on no makeup days, but the Eucerin is brilliant!

2) Boots No 7 Shimmering Eye and Lip Screen SPF 30

A gentle, slick stick that has just the tiniest bit of shimmer to create a dewy finish, perfect to carry around and re-apply when outdoors, providing high sun protection of SPF 30.  I love that it's such high SPF, so easy to carry around, and is made by a well-known cosmetics supplier.

I do believe both products provide broad spectrum blockage from both UVA and UVB rays, only I think the Eucerin is 4 stars (instead of 5), still extremely brilliant blocking power - if it's enough for me, it should be enough for anyone, lol.

Please feel free to add your own sun protection recommendations for the summer as well!
Hair reminds you just how much "patience is a virtue"...

Oh yeah, so these two men walk into a bar: you think one of them would have ducked. ::)

• Senior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: Adore Purple Rage
Re: Sunblocking for the Summer
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 14 / 12:31 AM »
Headsup Poundland have coppertone suncream in Japanese packaging in 20spf and 50spf. I got a 50spf they also had 2 lip balms for 1 same  brand.
They had Maybelline Baby Lips too in Japanese packaging.
My hovercraft is full of eels !

• Alternative fashionista!
    • Little Wicked's Emporium
  • Current Colour: Mixture of Adore blue/black & Pravana blue over a permanent black
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 14 / 01:42 PM »
I use a combination of Neutrogena Age Shield oil-free facial sunscreen, SPF 110, and Neutrogena Dry Touch sunscreen SPF 70.  I use the SPF 110 on my face & neck every day in the summer, and the SPF 70 on all other exposed skin (which usually isn't much, chest and arms at most!).  In the winter, I use SPF 50 on my face and neck (MAC prep & prime mattifying primer with SPF), and skip the chest & arms as they're not exposed at all in the winter.  The Neutrogena ones are imported from the US, I don't think they're available in the UK, I buy off eBay.  This is what they look like:
Awarded "Dye-namite Poster" status by Forum Admin & Moderators.
This member's knowledge and help on the forum is recognised as to DYE for!

Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jun 14 / 07:13 PM »
@ xMoonfairyx and @Mindi Kellaway, thanks for the suggestions!

During my visit to the US a couple years ago, I noticed sunblocks with SPF in excess of 100 and was gobsmacked!  I immediately snapped one up, but it ended up irritating my eyes, even though I think it was one made for the face.  Forgot the brand and may still have it tucked away in my shelves somewhere.

Is the Neutrogena one gentle enough for the eyes?  I normally use SPF 50 year-round and hope it's enough coverage for all the sun that shines on the UK, lol.  But I'd definitely use an SPF 100+ in the summertime as long as my eyes are happy. :)

Oh yeah, so these two men walk into a bar: you think one of them would have ducked. ::)

• Current Colour: Mixture of Adore blue/black & Pravana blue over a permanent black
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jun 14 / 12:50 PM »
I don't have any issues with the Neutrogena one, but I don't have sensitive skin or eyes, so I really couldn't say how it would be for someone who does.  :)

• Senior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: pink and yellow cruella
« Reply #5 on: 04 Jun 14 / 06:17 PM »
ok, i want to jump in here.  i used to be a "beauty consultant" for a drug store-- part of it was learning all the products from the major brands of makeup, but we also had to learn about box dyes, shampoo, moisturizers, razors, and lots of other stuff.

in that time, i had to attend SEVERAL classes about sun screens!  so, after seeing this thread i **need** to comment!

there is a common misconception about what spf actually means, and i feel like a lot of skin care companies totally take advantage of this.  guys, you're wasting your money.

you can google this if you don't believe it: basically, spf 15 blocks 94% of UVB rays, spf 30 blocks 97%, spf 50 blocks 98%, and spf 100 blocks 99%.  i'd venture to guess spf 110 blocks 99.something%. 

so, there's honestly not that much difference between say, spf 30 and spf 110--- it's only 2.something% more protection.  that's not enough, at least, that you should feel like you can be out in the sun for much longer!!  and, personally, i honestly don't think it's worth the price difference.

you're much better off not worrying about the number on the bottle-- just check for UVA/UVB protection. definitely make sure you apply **frequently** if you're really going to be spending time out in the sun.  and definitely reapply if you go swimming, or sweat, or if you towel off, even if your sunscreen says it's good for a longer period of time, or if it says it's waterproof.

ok, admittedly, the ultra sheer dry touch line from neutrogena is pretty neat-- it has a very interesting texture for sure.  but the point here is, i personally wouldn't spring for an spf higher than 30.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jun 14 / 06:26 PM »
Thank you, Pastina!!  That's great information.

Then I must be safe enough with my SPF 50 that my eyes are happy with, plus my rimmed hat, plus walking in the shade as much as possible at lunch hour, plus slapping on more sunblock if I feel like I'm being hit with the sun too much.

Oh right, plus sunglasses to prevent squinting too much, lol.

I was taught to check bottles for the UVA/UVB mark on them, and I found a bottle of facial moisturiser with SPF 30 in my stash that doesn't have that mark on it.  So I'm not using that this summer.

Right then, you may know too... a cosmetician friend of mine in the US mentioned sunblock should also contain zinc (oxide?), but I don't think I've found one that does.  Is zinc terribly important?  I've got so many bottles of sunblock to use up already before buying anymore to be honest, ha ha.

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun 14 / 07:29 PM »
the deal with zinc oxide (titanium oxide too, actually) is that it's a physical sunscreen... meaning it's not supposed to get absorbed into the skin-- it just sits on top, and literally blocks the sun from getting through to your skin by reflecting it!  it's great because it protects against UVA/UVB, and is super effective.  it also isn't supposed to clog your pores (which completely baffles me since it's so thick).  all good things, so i get why you've been told you look for those ingredients.

but, picture lifeguards with that pasty white stuff on their noses-- that's zinc oxide.  the problem with it is exactly that-- it's pasty and chalk white.  the sunscreens that have titanium or zinc oxide in them do one of two things-- 1) you will see where it's been applied because they look rrrreally chalky on your skin (and that's good!), or 2) they magically absorb (and that's bad!).

because honestly, if they're magically absorbing, that means that ingredient has been pulverized down to the point where it is not functioning as a physical sunscreen anymore, and that totally defeats the purpose of including it.  it can't reflect the sun if you can't see it, lol.

anyway, i think that you'll be fine wearing what is comfortable for you-- whether it's a dedicated sunscreen or a moisturizer with UVA/UVB protection-- and the spf doesn't need to be higher than 30 as long as you apply religiously.

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jun 14 / 07:47 PM »
The thing with the Neutrogena line is that it's not actually any more expensive to get the SPF 110 one than the SPF 30 one (not sure if it is in the US or not, but when we're talking about imports to the UK it doesn't work out any more expensive), and it's no more expensive than a UK brand with SPF 50.  My own personal experience is that my skin burns ridiculously quickly, and I'd rather have the higher protection.  Even if it is only 1% more, I want that 1%.  :)

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #9 on: 04 Jun 14 / 08:15 PM »
@mindi-- oh, that's a different story then!!  i could easily see myself picking up the higher SPF if it's exactly the same price as the lower SPF just for that 1%.  sadly, here you can see a price difference of up to a few dollars between the various levels of protection.  that's why i was saying the companies take advantage of people not really understanding what it is they're actually paying for!

btw-- i'm pretty sure helioplex (it's mentioned on those neutrogena bottles) and parsol 1789 and mexoryl SX (the ingredient la roche posay has in its fancy anthelios line) are the exact same thing, under different names.  that's also something good to look for.  there's apparently are some UVA lightwaves that still get through most products that claim UVA/UVB protection-- this ingredient catches those rogue lightwaves, too.  yay!

• Dye-Hard
  • Current Colour: pastel pink, lilac, white, silver
« Reply #10 on: 05 Jun 14 / 06:20 PM »
My skin burns terribly easy too. When I was a kid I never used to burn! My skin would get sooo dark and I would never, ever burn. Now though, it's like a 180 from how it was when I was a kid! lol

I use my kids sunscreen, it's Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen and I mix red raspberry seed oil in with it.

The sunscreen has UVA/UVB protection, is fragrance free, oil free, hypoallergenic, doesn't sting the eyes at all and doesn't leave that chalky look or a greasy feel to the skin, it feels like putting on a normal lotion.

Red raspberry oil has a natural SPF range of 28-50, has Vitamin A, Vitamin E, and omega 6 +3 fatty acids, protects against UVA and UVB rays, has anti inflammatory properties and it moisturizes.

Mixing the raspberry oil in with it seems to help more. Like even if I do get a little red or I burn, it seems better than when I just use the sunscreen alone, like it doesn't feel as inflamed or puffy. I use that oil too as a protectant for my hair. I take a bottle, put in some water and some Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner (thin and silicone free) and add the red raspberry oil to it and some coconut oil too just for some extra moisture + it did seem to help when I had pastels last year
Always remember to consider what your hair is going to feel like after processing it BEFORE you do it! Test strands, treatments/oils are important when it comes to hair, but the most important thing is patience!

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #11 on: 05 Jun 14 / 06:47 PM »
I use my kids sunscreen, it's Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunscreen and I mix red raspberry seed oil in with it.

The sunscreen has UVA/UVB protection, is fragrance free, oil free, hypoallergenic, doesn't sting the eyes at all and doesn't leave that chalky look or a greasy feel to the skin, it feels like putting on a normal lotion.

That's exactly what I use, the kids' stuff!  I started using it particularly because of my sensitive eyes.  I always thought that kids would probably be rubbing their faces after being slabbed in sunscreen by their parents, so if it's safe for them, it must be gentle enough for my face.

Didn't know about the red raspberry seed oil though - I'll have a look for it!

@pastina, thanks so much for explaining what zinc does - interesting then, as long as you can see it sitting on your skin, it's blocking the sun, but if it's rubbed in or disappears, it's not doing its job.  Yep, I can picture the lifeguards now, ha ha.  I might look a bit over-the-top if I wore a full facemask of zinc everyday... I'll stick with what I've got, lol.

Thanks so much for the great info everyone, I love it!

• Senior Hair Addict
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jun 14 / 09:50 AM »
one more thing I'd like to add is, look for PA+++ or broad UVA protection, as SPF number doesn't indicate whether you're protected from the rays  that cause ageing and harm to the skin. SPF is about burning/tanning your skin, PA is about protecting your skin from harmful UVA rays

Good luck!

• Junior Hair Addict
  • Current Colour: pale pink
« Reply #13 on: 06 Jul 14 / 12:08 AM »
I've been using the Neutrogena ones, which you can get from Family Bargains for under 3 and the Coppertone ones for my body.

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories