Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: Stretching (it is NOT called gauging) piercings  (Read 15524 times)  Share 

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
Re: Stretching (it is NOT called gauging) piercings
« Reply #50 on: 09 Sep 11 / 11:16 PM »
Yeah I used a taper but instead of me having to wiggle it through it just slid right through and popped out the other side! I had to put it back through again and hold a tunnel on the end ready for my ear to catch it lol.
"If less is more then just think how much more MORE would be!" - Frasier

Awarded "Dye-namite Poster" status by Forum Admin & Moderators.
This member's knowledge and help on the forum is recognised as to DYE for!

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #51 on: 10 Sep 11 / 07:35 PM »
The reason staying at one size for ages makes stretching the next time easier is because that's what you're supposed to do! Especially once you get to those bigger sizes!
-= The Girl Anachronism =-

• Dye-Hard
  • Current Colour: CC - Apricot & black
« Reply #52 on: 10 Sep 11 / 08:16 PM »
what are tapers my i ask? just another word for stretchers or? (i should know rly, but oh well :P)

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #53 on: 10 Sep 11 / 10:35 PM »
Long cone shaped pointy things lol!

They "taper" off at one end so they're often called tapers. This can also apply to crescents, buffalo's, serpentines and lots of other stretching jewellery but I tend to think of it as the long straight ones.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #54 on: 10 Sep 11 / 11:02 PM »
ok so I know nothing about this lol

just wanted to pop in with the 'better paying more money for a job done well'
my daughter at 7 had her ears piereced  for 35, yes a bit steep esp as she could have had them done round the corner for 5, but they did both ears in one go and she has had no problems etc

sorry o/t
Feel free to add me on fb Debbie Pinkydinkydoo Swift :D

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #55 on: 11 Sep 11 / 06:56 PM »
I totally agree and yes, it can apply to stretching as well. The tapers that are titanium are more expensive but much better for stretching than the cheap, plastic ones.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #56 on: 11 Sep 11 / 08:01 PM »
okay, so tapers are stretchers :') glad i got that all clear, because it was starting to get a little confusing :P

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #57 on: 12 Sep 11 / 12:21 PM »
Hehe, yeah sometimes when you look hard enough into it you can find several different phrases for one thing. If in doubt, google! ;D

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #58 on: 26 Nov 11 / 11:33 PM »
i took the advice on here about leaving the stretcher/taper in a long time before up-sizing it and i'm glad i did this second time around! as i mentioned in other threads a while back my 16mm (or possibly 17mm) ear got infected because of a silicone tunnel. once the infection had cleared i've gave it a few weeks now and consulted my piercer and put in my 5mm (i checked what it had shrunk to, and the 5mm JUST went tight as i put it in so it's shrunk about 12mm in about 2 or so weeks :I i now have my 5mm in and it isn't a smelly saggy oval, it's a clean, clear circle shape now and i'm considering getting ready to put the 6mm in next week depending on how my lobe feels when putting it in.

wish i'd have done this before but as i said, i just wanted a big ear fast :')

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #59 on: 29 Nov 11 / 12:30 PM »
Don't do any stretching fast. If you take a stocking (bear with me) fresh out of the packet and pull it gently you can feel the elasticity. If you grab it at both ends and just yank it chances are it'll make a horrible sound and when you check it afterwards there will be little tears and ladders in it. If you try to put it on your leg after that it'll probably have snags and stuff in it too.

Your skin is the same (see you knew I had a point didn't you?) Pull it slow and you'll be fine. Stretch it too quick and you get little rips and snags.

FYI, anyone who's interested, After being 12mm for more months than I can remember I have just recently stretched up to 14mm. Even after several months of not stretching at all and using the same piece of jewellery day in day out (so there's been no size change between brands or anything) I found the stretch quite difficult.

My right ear lobe already has a blow out caused by a spot on the inside of the piercing which I wasn't aware of until I stretched up to about 8mm a couple of years ago. Even after carefully downsizing again the damage was already done. I have continued to stretch (silly me) and now the blowout has become almost impossible to work with so I'm leaving that ear alone. But my left ear also had trouble going to 14mm. It was an extremely tight affair to get the taper through and it took a couple of days for it to accept it. I worked it gently over the two days and although I now have my 14mm tunnels in, very comfortably I know that this is where I stop.

I always wanted 20mm, or 16's at least but I have to stop at 14's instead. I'm sure I could wait a few months and try again but I know that I'd only end up causing a blow out on my left ear as well. My skin has spoken - 14 is enough. I'm disappointed but I'm not going to be ultra dumb and force my body to take something that it just doesn't want.

On the plus side it's easier to find diverse choices in 14mm's rather than be limited by choices in the 20mm range! So there's a silver lining. ;D

• Pippa: A term for a girl who always hurts herself
  • Current Colour: faded pravana violet, manic panic atomic turquoise, special effects napalm orange and directions cerise
« Reply #60 on: 29 Nov 11 / 06:05 PM »
i was cleaning out my 14mms night before last night and i couldnt get the silicone tunnel back in my left ear(the akward ear)
i thought it was swollen due to trying to get the tunnel back in, but after inspecting turns out i have a sore bit. i dunno if i oicked dry skin and made it bleed or if im having a reaction like poh did, but ive always been fine with silicone =( i still have no jewelery in it and have been cleaning it. looks like its shrank a tonne as well. poop
Spreading rainbow domination acro

Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #61 on: 30 Nov 11 / 01:54 PM »
If your left ear is particularly resistant it may be that it's pushing back against the soft silicone tunnel. Perhaps that one needs a bit more discipline with a metal tunnel instead. ;)

• Senior Hair Addict
    • Theodora's grimoire
« Reply #62 on: 30 Nov 11 / 04:05 PM »
I've been reading this thread compulsively, as well as lots of other sites about stretching online because I am considering stretching again. I used to have ears stretched to 9 mm (it was quite an awkward size actually and I found it difficult to find jewellery in that size). I had stretched really stupidly when I was 16. I remember particularly doing one waiting for the underground and being drunk so as you can imagine, nothing was clean from my hand to the taper and I had no feeling of pain (cf. drunkenness).
I took out my plugs years ago, I can't even remember when, but I think maybe I was 19 or 20. The whole reason why I started stretching was because I never liked traditional earrings and liked plugs better, but then when I felt like I couldn't find any I liked, I just took them out. (didn't scale down by putting smaller and smaller jewellery, just took them out).

Sorry about the long story but let me continue this. Basically through this website I found out more about stretching, which I wish I knew at the time, and I also found out about bodyartforms' delightful shop. I purchased three sets of plugs from there, one is a tiger eye, one amazonite and the other one turquoise and I am in love, literally. They were also cheap as they were reduced because they had really big flares, but that suited me fine. And now that I have discovered all these beautiful plugs, I want to go bigger again (cause let's be honest, 10g doesn't really do justice to these lovelies, even with a flare that's more like a 6g).

My question for you knowledgeable and wise people is: what to use to stretch? I have very sensitive/allergic skin, and I have read that titanium is the best. But I cannot find titanium tapers anywhere aside from Ebay and I don't like buying from Ebay much (previous problems with buyers).

Is it really that big a deal? Could I just use surgical steel?
Ad augusta per angusta

• Dye-Hard
    • Tumblr
  • Current Colour: Henna red
« Reply #63 on: 30 Nov 11 / 04:16 PM »
You can use surgical steel as long as you're not allergic to nickel :)
I'm an animal just like you..

• Current Colour: faded pravana violet, manic panic atomic turquoise, special effects napalm orange and directions cerise
« Reply #64 on: 30 Nov 11 / 05:02 PM »
@matty, thats a good idea =) it looks ultimate small today, so it'll be a long road to recovery me thinks =(

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #65 on: 30 Nov 11 / 06:29 PM »
it's a real shame surgical steel costs so much more than silicone, i loved my bright pink and blue silicone tunnels, but after my dilemma a few weeks ago, i daren't use the silicone :<

• Dye-Hard
    • Tumblr
  • Current Colour: Henna red
« Reply #66 on: 30 Nov 11 / 07:53 PM »
I daren't use silicone either, it really dries my ears out now matter how much/often i oil them and it flares my eczema up, which is a shame cuz it's so comfy!
I'm an animal just like you..

• Senior Hair Addict
    • Theodora's grimoire
« Reply #67 on: 30 Nov 11 / 10:41 PM »
Cheers Martha, I now just need to figure out whether I'm allergic to nickel. And I will definitely steer clear of silicone plugs after what everyone has said so far...
Ad augusta per angusta

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #68 on: 01 Dec 11 / 11:25 AM »
Titanium really is the best bet if your skin is sensitive. There's nothing reactive in it so it won't mess with your skin, although there are a few people who are sensitive to any metals so on the very rare occasions you do find people who can't use titanium either but like I said, that's rare.

Pippa if your piercing has shrunk maybe get a smaller metal tunnel and work your way back up again, rather than risk using a tunnel that's too big and might split the skin or cause pain. Sounds like that side is desperate to close up. Mine was the same when I had regular pierced ears, it's what started me stretching in the first place. I figured "I'll teach you to close up on me" lol. I've never left my tunnels out, I always take them out, clean them and put them back in but I think my leftie is a beligerant little so-and-so too.

« Reply #69 on: 01 Dec 11 / 02:42 PM »
yeah i never leave mine out for longer than it takes to clean them, as i get the dear that they'll shrink straight away. its looking bettertoday. i'll let it heal 100% then get me some titanium tunnels.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #70 on: 09 Dec 11 / 04:46 PM »
my ear seems to be super elasticy! a week or 2 weeks maybe more ago i can't remember i put the 5mm in, and once it was a firm circle when i took it out and it'd healed at 5mm, i put the 6mm in, and it popped straight through! so i was like.. okay.. 7? same again. 8? same again 10? just started to feel a little tight! it was so strange how it'd felt really right and stretching at 5mm, then about a week and a half later, it was doing the same but 5mm up! no kidding i was confused as hell :/ so yeah, i think it's because my ear had been previously stretched? i've recently put a 12mm in too, i know it's too soon but that practically went straight in too it's so weird basically skipping lots of stretchers :I i no longer have my 14mm + stretchers, so i'll be using the taping method this time when i get some lovely new metal tunnels : ) oh! and are glass tunnels okay for 'long term' wear? i love the look of some glass ones on a few of the websites members have recommended :3

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #71 on: 09 Dec 11 / 05:00 PM »
Usually after my next stretch I have to wash off the "cheese" daily to keep them clean and stink free but this time my ears are going nuts! I dunno if it's a by product of having trouble stretching up this time but I'm still washing them twice a day and every morning I wake up and they smell. It is getting better, it was worse last week, but ewww! If I hadn't already decided to stop at 14mm this would be enough to put me off doing it again. Usually I just spend a few days washing like a demon but this time I seem to be washing non stop. They're not sore or anything, just really stinky!

Maybe a different set of tunnels would be better. My last set were acrylics because I'd been at 12mm for so long and they tapered off a little at the front and back. These ones are steel and they have a definite lip on the edges so maybe it's trapping the smell.

• Costume grad who likes shiny things!
    • Vaudeville
  • Current Colour: Trying to fade Directions Turquoise!
« Reply #72 on: 12 Dec 11 / 10:17 PM »
im dead nervous to try silicone now, my hands go a bit itchy in the gloves i use to dye my hair (not bad enough to swap brands though) so i think im gonna avoid those plugs. plus its only like a pound or two more to get the funky plastic ones with designs on yayy

• Senior Hair Addict
  • Oh hi! I'm yellow!
    • My blog
« Reply #73 on: 13 Dec 11 / 01:07 PM »
I've totally fallen in love with wood-jewellry. No cheese, no smells, not heavy and it looks awesome!
My personal blog (in Norwegian)

marteforsberg.no

« Reply #74 on: 13 Dec 11 / 06:59 PM »
theres some lovely bufalo horn stuff about.

my ear update, it healed quick. i thought i was 5mm, so i got titanium stuff from 5-10mm. turns out i was already 10mm and was being silly! so i put my 10-12mm stretcher in. i noticed 2days in my ear was sore (not unusal) then an hour later the ear had pushed the stretcher out and now its mega small! ='( so i think im gonna leave my ear till after xmas and see where i stand. ive been putting vitamin e on it to try and help it. i really wanted 2x16mm's. but i guess thats now just a dream

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories