Username: Stay Logged In

Password:  

Add Beeunique on Social Media...

Beeunique Facebook Beeunique Pinterest Beeunique Google+ Beeunique TwitterBeeunique YoutubeBeeunique Instagram

NOTE: Beeunique ship worldwide - including USA & Canada

Author Topic: Stretching (it is NOT called gauging) piercings  (Read 15524 times)  Share 

• Junior Hair Addict
Re: Stretching (it is NOT called gauging) piercings
« Reply #25 on: 06 Sep 11 / 07:52 PM »
Yeah I know, I wrote it in the OP :p
-= The Girl Anachronism =-

• Dye-Hard
  • Current Colour: CC - Apricot & black
« Reply #26 on: 06 Sep 11 / 08:01 PM »
may i say that every stretcher i used was a plastic one from a jewelry shop, not a piercing shop. also, almost every one of mine hurt because i didn't wait months between them, just days. mine's not wonky, infected, off-centre or anything. mine's fine. it smells if i don't clean it regulary, same as every other piercing. i had my belly button done and the piercer looked at my stretched ear (i sort of showed him because he asked how many i'd got) and he didn't see anything wrong with it. he was obviously a skilled piercer, he had all his jewelry and needles ect in the sterile packs, wore new gloves even if he just touched his face or something and had plenty of pictures of really well-done piercings in his little studio, so if it looked 'wrong' he'd have noticed and told me.

so, not all that stuff is neccessarly neccessary? well it wasn't for me anyway, i didn't know crap about stretching my ear, i knew how to, what to do it with, what size i needed next, never jumped a size and just did it in the bath/shower everytime. i used lube for my 10mm because it hurt less if the stretcher was wet and that didn't affect it. i know many people who's ear has gone red, swelled and gone all oozy because they did it too fast, like 2mm at a time every day. good job really, cus just after i started, everyone started

Katt

« Reply #27 on: 06 Sep 11 / 08:49 PM »
The fact he uses sterile needles and jewelry (also not necessarily a fact: ive heard plenty of stories where piercers packed jewelry or needles in steri-packs but didn't sterilize them. if you didn't know exactly where to look, you would do never notice) and wears gloves does not make him a good piercer. It just states he at least uses minimal hygiene procautions. Did he just quickly glance at your ears OR have you take the jewelry out, massage and pinch the tissue, maybe even use a little flashlight? If not, there is no way he could know anything about the condition of your skin. Its basically impossible.

The reason I question this, is because of what you wrote. The fact every stretch has hurt, you used unappropriate materials and stretched WAY faster then anyones skin could possibly adjust to in time. Even in most perfect conditions, this has to mean a fair bit of scarring. No one is immune to that. Whether or not that poses a direct issue, has to be assesed. The fact your piercer said it looked fine doesn't sound like a propper consultation. But prove me wrong, post or send a picture of your ears without any jewelry.  :)

Of course some peoples ears are tougher then others, but there are things that just aren't wise decisions. And "pain" always indicates a break  (though often too minimal to notice) of the skin and therefore scarring. Scarring reduces bloodflow (necrosis can become an issue), among other things.

• Costume grad who likes shiny things!
    • Vaudeville
  • Current Colour: Trying to fade Directions Turquoise!
« Reply #28 on: 06 Sep 11 / 09:52 PM »
You have just contradicted yourself. How would you be able to judge how well her stretching went via a picture? I thought you were supposed to "massage and pinch the tissue, maybe even use a little flashlight".
Awarded "Dye-namite Poster" status by Forum Admin & Moderators.
This member's knowledge and help on the forum is recognised as to DYE for!

Please click the *heart* button on the top line if a post is helpful to you.

Katt

« Reply #29 on: 06 Sep 11 / 10:05 PM »
I have not. I didn't say I could properly asses them, but I could point out the most obvious issues; as she most likely has scar tissue, I'm nearly certain the fistula is not going to be a perfect circle, but either an oval/drop or "cattsbutt". That part does not take pinching, no. It would mearly be a good visual representation to show her that there might be more to the story and get it checked out. If you did read my comments, you must have also read I couldn't completely asses anything online, as no one can.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #30 on: 06 Sep 11 / 10:18 PM »
well i know i'm not a professional, but when i clean my ear/all my piercings, i always check the inside of my ear. i did all the time once it was stretched big enough to see inside of. it never actually looked that red, and it is an oval shape, but then again a friend of mine who did hers with the metal stretchers from a proper place (she can afford the proper stuff) stretched hers about a month or so between 1mm stretches, hers is oval. almost everyone i've talked to's ear goes oval when it's not got the tunnel in.

also, i didn't base whether he was a good piercer or not myself, my mum and dad specifically went around a few well known shops and asked many questions about what they use, how they do it, hygene and everything. my mum wouldn't have let me have it done at a scabby only-just standard place, because she only just let me have this piercing, she wouldn't've took me somewhere where it could end up going wrong. he didn't massage my ear or anything, because i wouldn't be comfortable with that unless he thought i might've done something. he had a close look, thats all, but the way people talk about stretching too fast and what not, i thought they might've been a more obvious issue that he could've seen. anyway, my ear isn't oozing puss or bleeding or swelling, so i can't really see any harm in my tunnel :/

Katt

« Reply #31 on: 06 Sep 11 / 10:34 PM »
It should not be oval, both for you and your friend. That indicates breaks of the skin, and as you stated, is a very common problem when not stretching the right way. That is why I asked for the picture, only to point out the obvious. Now, Im not saying it isnt so mething you could live with, but it is something to keep in mind for a next stretch.

There are other ways, regardless of size. I wear, and have been for years, 1'3/4" (or 44 mm) in both my ears and I have absolutely no scar tissue other then the scar from scalpeling them (removing tissue, in my case for comfort), the skin is completely even, smooth and plum. I'm not trying to be a bitch, but for some reason anyone can say anything in these topics and everyone is fine. But as soon as some one dares to post anything that goes against the basic information people think up online, everybodys ready for a fight. Its ridiculous. I've said what I could, but unless anyone has any decent questions, I see no use in proceding with a discussion where I could just as well be talking to a wall. Have a good one, girls.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #32 on: 06 Sep 11 / 10:39 PM »
you seem to feel attacked or something? i don't see why? it's just a descussion right? unless i'm missing something :')

but yeah, i'm fine with the oval, and i'm not going any bigger i don't think, and i'm leaving my other ear so i can wear pretty earrings that my bf got me :P i have seen a picture on google when i was looking for hair ideas though with their cartilige stretched. now, my scaffold was enough for me to stay AWAY from the cartiligey bit of my ear, but wouldn't stretching your cartilige be mega painful?

Katt

« Reply #33 on: 06 Sep 11 / 10:57 PM »
Yes, cartilage is not easy to stretch. Often larger piercings in cartilage will therefore be "punched", using  a biopsy punch; the same tool most often be used for surface anchors (micro dermals), only bigger. The procedure isnt that much more painful (I personally found both my 8mm outer- and 6mm inner conch punches to be less sore than cartilage piercings done with a needle), but are a lot more permanent. Its not for everyone.

I felt as if people were very defensive. Im not here to start fights, Im here to talk about pretty hair.

• Vaudeville
« Reply #34 on: 07 Sep 11 / 12:20 PM »
You are being quite defensive, but I suppose you are defending your profession. Its just hard to do that on here if people have had, or know of others who have had, bad experiences at having their ears stretched at a studio.
Also I thought that the oval shape would be from wearing heavy jewelry in your ear? Especially if pohs friend got it done at by a piercer?

Katt

« Reply #35 on: 07 Sep 11 / 01:02 PM »
Not every professional is as skilled as the next, and like I said.. there are many "piercers" out there that cant stretch as much as the next person. I havent seen Phs friends ears, but if they really are that oval, theres a good chance it was because of a less skillfull piercer.

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #36 on: 07 Sep 11 / 03:25 PM »
UndeadPoh, just because you ended up ok, that doesn't mean everyone will. It means you were lucky and nobody should listen to you eschewing the basics of how not to f**k up one's ear.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #37 on: 07 Sep 11 / 03:38 PM »
yes, i was lucky, but i was merely mentioning that the effects aren't neccesarily that bad if you don't do all those percautions, i'm in no way saying screw piercers and do it yourself and whatever, because if i lived near enough to a piercing studio and their stretchers weren't so damn expensive i would've got a proper one and got some advice.

Katt

« Reply #38 on: 07 Sep 11 / 03:44 PM »
Most better studios will only charge you for the jewelry, not the stretching or the tapers they use. Its not even that much more expensive ;)

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #39 on: 07 Sep 11 / 07:29 PM »
The piercer I use will only charge for jewellery, the stretching is free unless you want to use your own jewellery then she charges 2 per stretch which is peanuts really. She only charges that because she uses her own sterilizer before putting the jewellery in.
"If less is more then just think how much more MORE would be!" - Frasier

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #40 on: 07 Sep 11 / 10:30 PM »
thing is the closest piercing studio charges about 9-11 for a stretcher, usually 5 from like a 1mm to maybeeee.. 6mm and them anything from yeah, 9 to 11. i really can't afford that much for every single stretch, which is why i went into the shopping centre and got some for like 3 each. although, it was a careless thing, i did make sure they were bathed in salt water and given a thourough clean before i put them anywhere near my ears, because they were in the tubs where you can just put your dirty little fingers in and touch them all :S i wasn't sily enough to put it straight in at mcdonalds toilets :')
also, on the point of peircing studios, the one in town that's the most local doesn;t seem very friendly, i had my lip done there for about 30 and the piercer did all the neccessary things, but there was no one waiting and she just seemed rushed a bit or something and hardly even communicated, may aswell have ust gone "where? ok *pierce* ok bye" but when i had my industrial done at [link-removed] - sorry links to this website are not allowed they were really friendly and actually asked if i was ok and talked like i was a human being :')

Katt

« Reply #41 on: 07 Sep 11 / 11:44 PM »
If any piercer tries to even pick up a needle before throughougly explaining things to you, in most cases having you sign a constent form, discussing placement, or just be flat out rude; run! A skilled professional will understand that piercing is so much more than breaking skin. And that even the most perfectly placed piercing with the most high quality jewelry is doomed to fail without proper aftercare. I've worked with some of the best known artists in the industry, not one of them was anything but funny, inspiring, kind and intelligent. They were all passionate people with a huge love for every aspect of the job. From my experience, passion like that is very contagious.

I havent worked in the UK, but the prices you mention seem to be on the low end. Tapers at that price have to be either acrylic or 316L stainless steel at most. Not the good stuff. 30 would barely cover the price of good titanium, internally threaded jewelry, so also seems very low end - but then again, I'm not familiar with UK prices. Good piercers will only sell good jewelry, so that is something to look out for

• Vaudeville
« Reply #42 on: 08 Sep 11 / 09:00 AM »
Those prices are about right for uk stuff.

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #43 on: 08 Sep 11 / 11:16 AM »
My piercer only used jewellery from Wildcat, all her cabinets are full of their stuff, it's gorgeous!

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #44 on: 08 Sep 11 / 04:11 PM »
eek, see, that's why i simply couldn't afford the right stuff :/ considering you'd need like.. 15 stretchers to get to a 16 or something, that's a looootttttt of money for a 15 year old on 10 a week :<
same with piercings, i never know where to get my next one done, at [link-removed] - sorry links to this website are not allowed, they talked me through the whole consent form, the whole process, were friendly, used sterile jewelry and needles and seemed to me like a good piercer. but then again, the studio in town had so much good rep for piercings and tattoos that i thought i'd go there for my lip doing, it's all about prices with me, i got my scaffold done on an offer at 10 in BB, but my lip for 30. personally, i wouldn't want to pay that much again. 20 would be reasonable to me but :/ all in all for price, friendliness and best service i'd go back to BB, but i don't know :<

• Junior Hair Addict
« Reply #45 on: 08 Sep 11 / 07:30 PM »
Piercings aren't something you want to do cheaply, though, you should want them done well. Honestly, the pros of spending a little more time and money to go see a decent piercer is well worth it, for so many reasons. Save up and be patient, if you really want something done then it can wait and you'll still want it once you've saved the money!

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #46 on: 08 Sep 11 / 07:58 PM »
Agreed. As stretching isn't a one a day thing, you need time then you can spend that time saving up for the right cash. I'd rather wait a couple of weeks longer and get the money for a good piercer than rush in and get anyone to do it just coz I didn't have patience.

After all, what's going to happen if you have to wait? Is your ear going to drop off? Of course not. If anything your body will thank you for giving it extra time to settle into the last stretch before going on to the next one.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #47 on: 08 Sep 11 / 08:42 PM »
yes, my ear seems much happier, especically, when i got to a 10mm, i stayed there for a good few months and when i went to 12mm it was like, straight through like it'd always been 12mm, and then i waited a few more months and went bigger gradually then because i wasn'y satisfied after a while. the thing is though, fair enough the money's worth it, but imo Blue banana were a way better place, not like a proper, just a piercing studio, but they seemed so much more proffessional than the other place, even though it's cheaper at BB. i've just looked on their site though, and i don't think the 10 offers are on anyway anymore, i'm waiting till im 16 because my mum wont let me now, so they'll most likely be normal price then. i think normal price for lips are.. 25? i can't remember, even though i only just looked :')

• Dye-Hard
  • Freakishly Delirious
« Reply #48 on: 09 Sep 11 / 01:48 PM »
That's funny I waited ages between 10 and 12mm too. Like you say, slipped it right through like it was meant to be that way. I'm waiting again now to go up to 14mm.

• Dye-Hard
« Reply #49 on: 09 Sep 11 / 03:54 PM »
it's so much easier if you leave them in ages right? i felt like i should be putting the next size stretcher in :')

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
The Hair Dye Forum uses cookies, please click here for more informations
Created & Maintained by Beeunique © 2009-2016

Alternative Hair Dyes and Accessories